Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Considering picking up an unlimited rubi (new or used, not sure). right now i'm driving an '07 Silverado reg. cab short bed w/32" rubi takeoffs (KM1's), a rear truetrac, and open front IFS. Truck has 9" of clearance at the lowest point, the rear diff.

Looks like going w/a JK Rubi I'd get (1) a 4" shorter wheelbase, (2) a front locker, (3) an inch of ground clearance.

I haven't done a ton of offroading. Realistically, how many places can I go in a new JK Rubi that I can't already go in my truck? Anybody made a similar transition?

·
MARGARET, 10-14-51\6-1-12
10,296 Posts
i went from a F350 to my jeep

·
Registered
305 Posts
How often do you NEED a Pickup to haul stuff ?

If not very often then you could borrow or rent one from Lowes/Home Depot for $20 an hour. If often, then get a small trailer.

But to answer your question, my guess is that the truck would go most places a Rubi could go if it's relatively flat. But don't disregard the power of front locked wheels pulling you forward if the rears lose traction and better articulation/flex from the solid jeep axles.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I went from a Tacoma to a TJ Spor. You'll be surprised at the difference a few inches of wheelbase makes! I do miss my truck, but I luv my TJ :)

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How often do you NEED a Pickup to haul stuff ?
Well I need something. I fish/hunt/camp etc. so it would either be the Rubi w/a trailer or keep my reg. cab truck. That's the thing, right now there's just room for 2 and no inside space, but I've got plenty of room for my tent, food, water, tools, dead deer, girlfriend, etc. in the bed :)

Methinks I may just be emotionally cheating on my truck with a Jeep here. But I am curious as to what it's like to make the switch in terms of getting "back there."

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
With a jeep you wouldn't have the option of putting the girlfriend in the back. Well, you did say a trailer too.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With a jeep you wouldn't have the option of putting the girlfriend in the back. Well, you did say a trailer too.
Well there's another issue. Ya go getting a jeep and next thing you know the girlfriend wants to drive. I wouldn't mind so much but she'll prolly bring her IPod up from the truck bed with her, and frankly - that's a problem :(

·
Registered
316 Posts
Well I need something. I fish/hunt/camp etc. so it would either be the Rubi w/a trailer or keep my reg. cab truck. That's the thing, right now there's just room for 2 and no inside space, but I've got plenty of room for my tent, food, water, tools, dead deer, girlfriend, etc. in the bed :)

Methinks I may just be emotionally cheating on my truck with a Jeep here. But I am curious as to what it's like to make the switch in terms of getting "back there."
If you get a hardtop JK Rubicon, then you can take the back seat out of the Jk and have pretty good inside cuddle space with your lady without having to get outside of your Jeep especially if you get one of those mini RV trailor-like deals. A JK heater burns hot enough to not only keep that whole cab warm and toasty, you could also put campfire marshmallows on the end of a stick and toast them next to the vent. I haven't tried that yet but I'm thinking of doing it on the way to work in the near future. The other day while driving to work in 15 degree weather I burned my knuckles through my leather gloves on the driver's side vent. You're not going to push heat like that in a truck.

With a JK Rubi, in the summertime, you could take the rear top off, flip the back seat backwards, back your JK into the lake instead of fishing from the edge like the regular Joes, and cast your line from the back seat in comfort. When you're done, lock the front and the back, shift into 4-LO and call it a day.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D I've had many 4wd pickups, 3 Dodge Ramchargers/1 Dodge Power wagon/3 Ford rangers and I used them all the time-

Now I'm just about done moving, my kids are gone, my boys have pickups if I need help-

So, now I have a JKU and a trailer, I can take them places I could NEVER get my trucks to/through-

I've DRIVEN my jeep full of camping gear/w 300lbs on the roof and a trailer full-in snow--don't need a pickup-ANYMO

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
FWIW, I went from a 04 Ram quad cab to my current jeep. I don't miss it. If it, or she is too big to haul, they don't go.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I have a Tj Rubi and love it. I vote the Rubi hands down. You can always get a trailer and be good to go.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just went from a Chevy 2500HD crew cab to my JK, couldn't be happier. I do miss the power of the Duramax sometimes, but I'm glad I switched.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I wouldn't be the first guy to ditch their truck for a Jeep, huh. Go figure :)

Yeah didn't know the back seats were that easy to get out. Seems like a good place for the (b)/(d)eer, no?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I kept the truck when I got the Jeep. It's a GMC 2500HD diesel. I drive the Jeep everywhere and the GMC just gets used for towing and "truck" stuff. Little things have been falling apart on the truck, I think she's a little jealous... haha!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
...I've got a Ram 2400 4x4 that will stay in the fleet when I do finally snatch a Wrangler....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently sold an f250 fx4 to get my sport. Catch 22, I sold my house on acreage, tractor, and all the stuff I usually hauled around. I'm getting by without my back seat in, but I need to get a small trailer just to have. I think it will help me out. Bottomline, I like the jeep/trailer over the truck!!

You'll love the jeep!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts