·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle specs:
2006 TJ Rubicon
NGS370 manual transmission
35,600 miles

Classic symptoms of bad throwout bearing as defined in TSB 06-002-07.

Called the dealer and they're talking about 1260.00 to fix. That seems high, even with the labor.

My question is this: Is that price totally out of line? The TSB refers to both TJ and JK repair and it seems like the service guy was talking about things that the JK needs done.

I've never ripped into a transmission and don't want to tackle this one solo.

Here's the text of the TSB:
NUMBER: 06-002-07
GROUP: Clutch
DATE: February 27, 2007

SUBJECT:
Squeal-Like Sound Due To Incorrect Pre-Load On Clutch Throw-Out Bearing

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves diagnosing the clutch throw-out bearing for an incorrect pre-load condition and making the appropriate repairs.

MODELS:
2007 (JK) Wrangler
2006 (TJ) Wrangler

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a NSG370 manual transmission (sales code DEH).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a squeal-like sound coming from the clutch throw-out bearing when the clutch pedal is fully released.

DIAGNOSIS:
1. Firmly set the vehicle parking brake.
2. Shift the transmission into neutral.
3. Depress the clutch pedal and start the vehicle engine.
4. With the transmission in neutral, release the clutch pedal
5. Is a squeal-like sound present and is it coming from the clutch throw-out bearing?
a. If YES >>> then proceed to the next step.
b. If NO >>> then this bulletin does not apply. Further diagnosis is required.
6. With the transmission in neutral and engine running, slowly depress the clutch pedal.

NOTE: If the pre-load is incorrect on the throw-out bearing, then the squeal-like sound should stop when the clutch pedal is depress by an inch or more.

7. Does the throw-out bearing squeal-like sound disappear once the clutch pedal is depressed by an inch or more?
a. If YES >>> then perform the Repair Procedure
b. If NO >>> then this Bulletin does not apply. The squeal-like sound is not caused by incorrect pre-load on the throw-out bearing. Further diagnosis is required.

PARTS REQUIRED:

Qty. Part No. Description
1 68031889AA Rod, Clutch Slave Cylinder Actuator (TJ)

2 06100882 Washer, Spacer (JK) (AR)
2 04874464 Lubricant, Mopar Manual Transmission (MS-9224) -(JK)
1 04318032 Adhesive, Stud N' Bearing Mount (JK) (AR)
1 53008342 Bearing, Throw-out (JK)

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
TJ PROCEDURE:

1. With the vehicle transmission a neutral position, raise the vehicle on a suitable lift.
2. Remove the mounting nuts used to secure the slave cylinder to the transmission bell housing.
3. As an assembly, remove the slave cylinder, hydraulic line, and actuator rod from the transmission bell housing.
4. Replace the slave cylinder actuator rod.
5. Install the slave cylinder to the transmission bell housing.
6. Verify that the actuator rod is properly seated to the clutch release fork.
7. Install the slave cylinder mounting nuts. Tighten the nuts to 23 Nm (17 ft. lbs.).
8. Lower vehicle.
9. Verify clutch system operates correctly.
Has anybody replaced this slave cylinder rod and fixed this same problem?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
$1260 to replace the slave?!? You could get the clutch done for less than that. That said, see what the slave assembly runs (about $125) and then consider that they are charging you $1000 + for an hours labor.....

·
Registered
395 Posts
If your even somewhat mechanically inclined, and have a basic tool kit available to you (sockets wrenches and so on) and maybe a buddy (or a tranny jack, Or both) I'd do it yourself

I'd consider myself moderately mechanical and when i was in high school i got to a point were I could have the tranny in and out on my old XJ by myself in 30 minutes with basic tools and a floor jack. Once the tranny's out the clutch system is easy to work on.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny thing is, the instructions only talk about bolting/unbolting a slave cylinder and only replacing the rod. The TSB talks about parts and such needed for a 2007 JK, which would require the transmission to be pulled. Pulling the trans to get to the clutch is something I probably could do, but not going to do - not my TJ.

But if I can unbolt the slave cylinder and replace the rod based on the instructions above (perhaps even replace the master cylinder and slave at the same time as PM), I'd be up for doing that...

Just hoping to see somebody with a TJ that has done the slave part (not the trans removal).

·
Registered
876 Posts
My 04 was making that squeeling sound so I replaced the clutch and if I remember correctly the throwout bearing came with the Luk clutch kit. That fixed my problem and cost way less than $1200.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Mines doing the same thing still debating on having it done or doing it myself. I know I'm mechanically inclined enough to do it but being the middle of November in Michigan not sure if I want to.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Idk about your tranny but the AX's in the older TJs have an internal slave, so you have to drop the tranny to get to it. If you drop the tranny it only makes sense to do it all while your there, clutch kit (includes disc, pressure plate, and throw out bearing, some will include the pilot bushing as well) flywheel and slave.

That being said the estimate you got for $1200 at a shop should include all of that at that price. Anything less and they are raping you with that price, taking advantage of people who can't/ aren't willing to work on vehicles themselves.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Just re-read your first post and see you have an external slave, you can replace the slave in under an hour yourself, the longest part being bleeding the system out when your done. I'd absolutely refuse to pay that estimate for that job.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,123 Posts
Once the transmission has been dropped, the throwout bearing and clutch can both be replaced in 10-15 minutes from start to finish with most of that time spent removing/replacing the bolts that hold the pressure plate to the flywheel. It's an easy job. Replacing both the clutch & throwout bearing should cost, including labor, no more than $600-700. The clutch is normally replaced at the same time since its cost is a small percentage of the total job and it adds no extra labor to the job. Dealers always charge an arm & a leg for such jobs, I'd take it to either a 4x4 shop or small independent transmission shop.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does this TSB apply to the NSG370 as seen in 2005? I have a squeal in mine that's been killing me for months. I've had it in and out of transmission shop for it. They've replaced the whole clutch kit 3 different times, and it persists.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts