Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about running approx. 1 inch. hub centric spacers in combination with using extended lug bolts and I wonder if anyone has experience with such setup, is it even available?

I already know about wheel adapters like Spidertrax, but I just DON'T want to use it.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I was thinking about running approx. 1 inch. hub centric spacers in combination with using extended lug bolts and I wonder if anyone has experience with such setup, is it even available?

I already know about wheel adapters like Spidertrax, but I just DON'T want to use it.
No if you are talking about true spacers that just fit between the hub and the rim....don't hub centric or not.

·
Registered
798 Posts
The spacers will add extra vulnerability that you do not want on your ride. Even with the longer studs. You are much better off going with the adapter style.

What is driving your decision to go spacer versus adapter versus backspace?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The spacers will add extra vulnerability that you do not want on your ride. Even with the longer studs. You are much better off going with the adapter style.

What is driving your decision to go spacer versus adapter versus backspace?
Thanks for that concern. Honestly!

But I like to avoid starting another discussion about spacers vs. adapters.

So to stay on point I would really just want to find out if the above spacer setup exist and if someone here has it or knows where to get it.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts

That would be the worst possible setup. The adapter style can go down to 1.25" and it's a drastically safer and more reliable system.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
it sounds like the OP is set on getting 1" spacers. Go to any competent machine shop and they can machine you out a set. hub bore is 71.5mm 5x5 should be easy for any shop that has CNC machine. I will go out on a limb and say just because the spacer is hub centric does not mean it is going to be any safer than a non hub centric spacer. regardless should be an easy project for a machine shop.

Reactions: Wrangleur

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Although where to get extended lug studs remains still open. Also I wonder if there is enough room to fiddle in the longer lug studs into the hubs. I checked some video and it looks like extended length might pose an issue during installation.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Thanks for that concern. Honestly!

But I like to avoid starting another discussion about spacers vs. adapters.

So to stay on point I would really just want to find out if the above spacer setup exist and if someone here has it or knows where to get it.

That's kind of like asking how many zip ties it would take to attach the wheels instead of lugs, and then saying you don't want to start a discussion about zip ties vs. lugs...

People are going to tell you that it's stupid to attach wheels with zip ties anyway. In this thread, people are going to tell you it's stupid to introduce a 1" gap and massive torsional load on studs that are intended for tension load only.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In this thread, people are going to tell you it's stupid to introduce a 1" gap and massive torsional load on studs that are intended for tension load only.
Again, thank you. But that assumption is simply wrong (regardless of how many times it was repeated on the internet). The tension forces (which as a practical matter are the ONLY forces) on the lug are the same in both scenarios, adapter or spacer (and we have not even started taking wheels with small back spacing in account).

So please let's stay on point. I already did my research and I prefer the spacer setup.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Thanks. Although where to get extended lug studs remains still open. Also I wonder if there is enough room to fiddle in the longer lug studs into the hubs. I checked some video and it looks like extended length might pose an issue during installation.
walk into any large tire store and tell them you need a 1/2-20 2.9" long lug with a 0.627" knurl. length should not hurt you installing as there is cut out for the lug and if for some reason it is too long to insert just slide the axle out and that should make it easy.

Reactions: Wrangleur

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
The issue is the length and number of threads between the support points. The lugs stretch and remain under tension with no perpendicular support. Every time you brake hard there will be twisting forces on the unsupported lugs.

It's not the internet its physics.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
The issue is the length and number of threads between the support points. The lugs stretch and remain under tension with no perpendicular support. Every time you brake hard there will be twisting forces on the unsupported lugs.

It's not the internet its physics.
Thread stretch is real, but some people just don't like to hear things that contradict their beliefs...

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I would never consider extending the lugs in any vehicle I own. Why would you do that?
so you can run a 1" spacer........running and ducking lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts