Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been to Alaska a few times, always flew in and rented a truck. Being the Jeep fanatic that I am it is hard to be up there and not continually think of all the fun places to go offroading up there with it. Anybody have trail experience up there?

·
Registered
966 Posts
It would be a blast just to drive up there. Only problem I’ve got with that is it’s difficult to take firearms through Canada.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be a blast just to drive up there. Only problem I’ve got with that is it’s difficult to take firearms through Canada.
I agree, I wish there were some form that they made where you could prove you were just passing through canada to the US again and that would allow an easier transit. Ive done lots of hiking in alaska and believe me when I tell you, it is a huge peace of mind when you're way out in the middle of nowhere to have some sort of gun with you. Especially in my case because I run a soft top and soft uppers on the half doors. There were so many roads out there worth wheeling its just every time ive been up there I was in a stock 3/4 ton truck not my jeep lol so I was extremely limited

·
Registered
966 Posts
I agree, I wish there were some form that they made where you could prove you were just passing through canada to the US again and that would allow an easier transit. Ive done lots of hiking in alaska and believe me when I tell you, it is a huge peace of mind when you're way out in the middle of nowhere to have some sort of gun with you. Especially in my case because I run a soft top and soft uppers on the half doors. There were so many roads out there worth wheeling its just every time ive been up there I was in a stock 3/4 ton truck not my jeep lol so I was extremely limited
Yeah!! Just imagine taking a nap in the tj when a bear walks up smelling the food you’ve got stached in the cooler. Guess I’d have to take along some bear bells to ward off the mama bear and her cubs.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have taken my Jeep up there twice. Was planning to go back this year but the virus put a hold on that.
Where did you leave from? How was the drive? My one and only trip out west from Tennessee in a Jeep, the gas stations were far apart. How are the fuel stops along the way to Alaska? Here the gas stations are on every corner and most of the time merely feet apart.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where did you leave from? How was the drive? My one and only trip out west from Tennessee in a Jeep, the gas stations were far apart. How are the fuel stops along the way to Alaska? Here the gas stations are on every corner and most of the time merely feet apart.
I Know this question wasn't for me but, the gas stations up in Alaska are pretty far apart at times. My TJ only has a 15 gallon tank, some have a 20 gallon. It is definitely a good policy to have a gas can or two. A real clean solution would be one of those titan trail trekker tanks that goes behind the spare. Thats an extra 12 gallons and doesn't really take up any space that was being used before.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have not been to Alaska, but I am planning to drive my Jeep there from Michigan hopefully within the next few years. I will be taking guns.

·
Registered
210 Posts
To answer some of the questions I towed my Jeep from N CA with a motor home and no finding gas is not a problem. The farthest distance between fuel was at the most 150 miles. The roads are no worse than the roads down here. Expect road construction in the summer the same as here. I spent 3 months there my last trip and that in not nearly enough time.

·
Registered
33 Posts

There are provisions for those going thru Canada to Alaska with firearms. The information and forms are on line. Plan on some extra time at the border however. Also if your transporting weapons thru you can not stop off for a few days to see friends etc. I grew up in North Dakota with friends who drive up to hunt in Alaska frequently with their firearms.

·
Registered
966 Posts
What I read online about getting that permit was you apply ahead of your visit. So it’s not drive up and get a pass. I’ve been to Fairbanks and Anchorage, but flew up there. It is one amazing place to visit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder what trails they have up there or where to find info on them. I see all these wheeling videos of up there but never any real description of where they're at. I think it would be a great place to roadtrip through but make stops every now and then to hit some trails. May even be worth getting a group of jeeps together to do it. Ive driven the Denali highway but thats hardly a trail, still absolutely worth driving again and again though. Its just miles of scenic gravel roads.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wonder what trails they have up there or where to find info on them. I see all these wheeling videos of up there but never any real description of where they're at. I think it would be a great place to roadtrip through but make stops every now and then to hit some trails. May even be worth getting a group of jeeps together to do it. Ive driven the Denali highway but thats hardly a trail, still absolutely worth driving again and again though. Its just miles of scenic gravel roads.
If you drove the Denali Highway, you passed tons of trails. Most campgrounds along the Denali have trails leading out for miles. There are multiple trails off the Glenn Hwy between Palmer and Glen Allen as well. Closer to Anchorage is the Knik River.

Buy an Alaska Gazeteer, DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer: Alaska, then get on the web for satellite photos. Tons of info here as well, Forums - Alaska Outdoors Forums.

Here is my disclaimer after living in AK for 27 years. Be careful. AK is very unforgiving and getting support can be extremely difficult.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My TJ only has a 15 gallon tank
The only difference between the 15 and 19 gallon tanks is the fill and vent tubes are longer in the 15 gallon tank, so the pump cuts off earlier. If you drop your tank and remove the pump you can reach in and trim the vent tube to increase your tank capacity. You gauge would show full till the fuel drops below 15 gallons.

This thread from wranglertjforum has good pics showing the difference

1 - 15 of 15 Posts