Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the Hankook MT's . Are these tires any good. I like the tread design . Just wondering how the handle and how loud they are on the highway?

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
I have heard good things about them. Seem to be a good tire for the money. They were on my lost of possible choices until I read about the Good Year Duratracks. I went the GY way

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Don't know what you're driving, but I am super happy with my Hankook Dynapro MTs RT03 LT295/75x16-

Good luck

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
183 Posts
don't know about these in particular, but I've had other Hankooks in the past and been very impressed

·
Registered
704 Posts
:whistling: Don't know what you're driving, but I am super happy with my Hankook Dynapro MTs RT03 LT295/75x16-Good luck

I also like the way those look. And looking at prices, I perhaps should have gone to 16", rather than 17", wheels when I went with 35s. I do have one question about the 7,000-lb elephant in the room: What about the weight? They appear to weigh in at 82-lbs: Stop and Go Tires. Models at Size
Do you notice much detriment to your power or mileage since you swapped out your previous tires? I'm asking becuase I always have put pretty beefy/heavy 3-ply-sidewall tires on my 4x4s, and they have been very durable, and I haven't felt too much in the way of excessive drag. I had 84-lb 37" Cooper STTs on my last vehicle, and didn't seem to notice any drop in performance from the 65-lb stock 35s. On the other hand, there seems to be a very strong disfavoring of anything but the lightest tires for Jeeps on this forum. What's you thoughts? I get the impression that the Pentastar might be less-sensative to some tire-weight changes. Because my 65-lb tires don't seem that bad. But I never drove a 3.8L.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:Dsupertire !

JIMBO, what do you think of the RT03's in rain, hard packed snow and ice?
Super in sand (at pressure-30psi) rain and snow really depend on the driver to, they aren't "SIPED", but have escape routes designed in the tread---

As far as ICE goes, a good driver can drive slicks on ice--they are like most other M/S tires-

I also like the way those look. And looking at prices, I perhaps should have gone to 16", rather than 17", wheels when I went with 35s. I do have one question about the 7,000-lb elephant in the room: What about the weight? They appear to weigh in at 82-lbs: Stop and Go Tires. Models at Size
Do you notice much detriment to your power or mileage since you swapped out your previous tires? I'm asking becuase I always have put pretty beefy/heavy 3-ply-sidewall tires on my 4x4s, and they have been very durable, and I haven't felt too much in the way of excessive drag. I had 84-lb 37" Cooper STTs on my last vehicle, and didn't seem to notice any drop in performance from the 65-lb stock 35s. On the other hand, there seems to be a very strong disfavoring of anything but the lightest tires for Jeeps on this forum. What's you thoughts? I get the impression that the Pentastar might be less-sensative to some tire-weight changes. Because my 65-lb tires don't seem that bad. But I never drove a 3.8L.
Mine are Load Range "D" and the combined weight of my 16x8 Procomp alloy wheel and tire was less than 90 LBS-

My JKUR weighs 4945lbs empty, so the difference between an 82lb tire and a 60 lb tire, can't be measured without laboratory specs-

My JKUR feels like it has an additional 30/40% power increase, over stock and thats weighing 5500 lbs with full load-

Don't forget--I regeaedit to 5.38 gears and the power/milage has gone up exponentially

smokemifyougotem

·
Registered
704 Posts
My JKUR weighs 4945lbs empty, so the difference between an 82lb tire and a 60 lb tire, can't be measured without laboratory specs-...
Okay I "feel" the same way generally, but I was becoming concerned about the emphasis on here about light tires. I wonder if that's partly a pre-P-star thing. My JKUR will soon be at about 5,000 lbs (by next week). I'm thinking about eventually getting some more (heavy) Cooper STTs or something like your Hankooks. Basically, I would sacrifice a 1/2 mpg or so to put 30% heavier and 30% stronger tires on to protect against bad things. For example a specific 50-lb tire that was made to be 65-lbs and made out the exact same materials adds 60lbs of (albeit rotational) weight to a 5,000lb vehicle (about 1.2% of the total curb weight). But you should theoretically have 30% heavier/thicker/stronger sidewalls on the tires, which seems more important to me personally (though there's no reason why it should to someone else).

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D Well MH, how you feel about your jeep is the primary test of ANY MOD !!

Okay I "feel" the same way generally, but I was becoming concerned about the emphasis on here about light tires. I wonder if that's partly a pre-P-star thing. My JKUR will soon be at about 5,000 lbs (by next week). I'm thinking about eventually getting some more (heavy) Cooper STTs or something like your Hankooks. Basically, I would sacrifice a 1/2 mpg or so to put 30% heavier and 30% stronger tires on to protect against bad things. For example a specific 50-lb tire that was made to be 65-lbs and made out the exact same materials adds 60lbs of (albeit rotational) weight to a 5,000lb vehicle (about 1.2% of the total curb weight). But you should theoretically have 30% heavier/thicker/stronger sidewalls on the tires, which seems more important to me personally (though there's no reason why it should to someone else).
I've found that these Hankooks Dynapros load range "D" have very flexable sidewalls and I've been down to 6psi on deep snow and never a bead bust-now

There is also an influence by the Procomp Extreme alloy wheels "BEAD SHOULDER" inside, but I can't even begin to feel a diff. between these and my stockers, it's been too long and to much a "shot-in-the-arm" by the regear--

·
Registered
206 Posts
i have 305/70/R16 MTs

i can't provide as much info as JIMBO has, ( because he's plain awesome - and i'm not being sarcastic ) but i can say that i like the look of mine a lot.:) i don't have any other tires (except the stock that came with it) to compare noise level too, but there is a noticeable difference but its not bothersome. i actually like it.

i haven't had the opportunity to drive in snow yet. boooo!
rain: seems fine to me, but then again i don't drive a lot of highway miles. mud/trails: again, nothing to compare them to, but i can say that i made it up a very steep, long, muddy incline on the 3rd try and it took many others more than 3 attempts to get up it. was it the tires? well, it couldn't have been the driver - it was my first time off-road :)

oh, and my gearing is 4.10

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah, tracie, when's it going to snow in Virginia? I mean real snow like the last two years?
well the groundhog just said 6 more weeks of 'winter'; if that means more 70 degree weather probably never. OR, we could pay for all these warm temps with an early spring-time snow storm :)

btw, i am originally from jersey (northern area) so real snow means 6 plus inches for me. :)

crap. i just re-read my OP and i left the X off JIMBOX's name. sorry :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts