Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ABS kick back at me when I come to a stop. It only does it when I am almost stopped, not at normal speeds when pushing the break, just stopping. I don't have an ABS light on or anything.
Anybody know why they are kicking back or had this happen to them?

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Not on a Jeep, but my explorer sport trac did the exact same thing. Was especially bad at low speeds like pulling in a parking spot. Replaced the sensor and problem was gone. I didn't have a light on either. Not sure how the Jeep abs is set up ( mine don't have ABS) but on my sport trac I had to replace the whole hub. Couldn't buy just the sensor.

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Sensors are replaceable without replacing the hub. I know the rears are about $125 each. I replaced one.
Where did you get it? I would check rockauto their prices are hard to beat. I also have a thread on here with a discount code.

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
How would I tell which sensor it is out of the 4 of them? I can't go spending that kind of money on a guess :/
Well mine was the front right. I knew right away because it would "lunge" to the right when I was pulling in a parking spot. May be able to get up a little speed about 20 mph or so and slam on the brakes and see which wheel locks up. Would probably be best on jack stands.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well mine was the front right. I knew right away because it would "lunge" to the right when I was pulling in a parking spot. May be able to get up a little speed about 20 mph or so and slam on the brakes and see which wheel locks up. Would probably be best on jack stands.
Mine doesn't really pull in either direction, is there any other way to test each individual sensor to see if its bad?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I started cleaning the sensors, when I got to my passenger rear one, I noticed that the sensor had a little bit of "play in it". This being because the part that the screw for the sensor goes into is stripped out, as you can see in the picture after cleaning it I put some lock tight on it to hold it in place (that blue stuff).
Can I buy just the stripped part or will a need a whole new hub assembly?

·
Registered
830 Posts
You don't have to buy a whole new hub assembly. As mentioned before you can buy just the sensor. Just google the part and you can find them for sale individually for the correct end.
As for the stripped part, maybe you could find the specific piece at a junkyard?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Why not just tap it for a slightly larger size and replace the fastener?

·
Registered
77 Posts
You may not need a new sensor since you found one that was loose. That could be the problem. You can get a heli-coil set to repair the thread or may be tap it out to the next size or use some high temp silicone on the bolt hole, or red lock tight. That needs to be repaired before you buy a sensor. Then test drive it to see what happens. Then realistically, if that does not solve the problem, it is time to find a professional with the proper scan tool to diagnose the problem. Remember that just because the ABS light is not on, does not mean that there is no diagnostic trouble codes.

Best of luck

Jeremy
ASE Master Auto Tech

·
Registered
946 Posts
You may not need a new sensor since you found one that was loose. That could be the problem. You can get a heli-coil set to repair the thread or may be tap it out to the next size or use some high temp silicone on the bolt hole, or red lock tight. That needs to be repaired before you buy a sensor. Then test drive it to see what happens. Then realistically, if that does not solve the problem, it is time to find a professional with the proper scan tool to diagnose the problem. Remember that just because the ABS light is not on, does not mean that there is no diagnostic trouble codes.

Best of luck

Jeremy
ASE Master Auto Tech
Would you happen to know why my 4wd light is not on any longer when in 4wd? Chged 4wd transfer switch but still no light! Thx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts