Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My console speaker blew, so I bought an aftermarket replacement and followed the write-up on how to replace it. I am planning on replacing my stock stereo with an aftermarket soon.

Has anyone added a mono amplifier that powers JUST the console speaker? Is it even worth it? Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
a new headunit will put out more power than the factory unit, no need for an amp. if you were going to add an amp you would have to go with a 2 channel amp, mono amps are for low fq's a 2 channel is made to power a regular speaker. if the speakers are rated at over 75rms watts than you could add an amp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
All depends on the speaker you got. Look at the RMS constant rather than peak power. On average A/M head units put out anywhere from 15-20rms. I have a full sound system and the only problem is placement of amps and subwoofer.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
as said look at the rms power and the sensitivity, usually something over 90 sensitivity

·
Registered
70 Posts
I replaced my center console speaker with a JL Audio 6" specialty sub (I forget the model name), and I use a 100w Mono Xtant 1.1 amp. Sounds pretty damn good. The reason why I picked the Xtant is because it's a high quality sub that fits under the driver seat, perfectly hidden out of sight.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
wow i'm an idiot, i though you were talking about the speakers in the dash.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry - I should have been more specific. I'm talking about the 6" speaker that's in the center console (in the console between the front seats - under the arm rest). Given that the new head unit will produce more power, I wondered if other people have found it worthwhile to add an amp to power it. I replaced the dash speakers with pioneer and the overhead speakers (sound bar) with Alpine.

If I do, I was considering putting the amp under the driver's seat - which brings up the issue of space, potential overheating, possible water contact, etc. RyCa - have you had any of those issues? I have read of people mounting the amp on top of some spacers to prevent any contact with water on the floor/carpet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If I do, I was considering putting the amp under the driver's seat - which brings up the issue of space, potential overheating, possible water contact, etc. RyCa - have you had any of those issues? I have read of people mounting the amp on top of some spacers to prevent any contact with water on the floor/carpet.
i had 2 10 inch alpines in a box that was specially made to fit behind the back seat both of them together ran 1000 watts rms and i had another amp to run the 2 41/2s in dash and 2 6/9s in back. i had made a box that fit under the back seat that had a swing down front but no top so that when it was under the seat i could still get to the knobs on the front of the amps and just lifing the seat up i could get to all the wiring, i worried about overheating and what not but all in all bumping 1300 watts under that seat both amps didnt heat up too much and i certainly never had a problem with overheating.

but the subs and amps did blow my alternator now they are sitting in my living room:banghead:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Kyle03Sport said:
Sorry - I should have been more specific. I'm talking about the 6" speaker that's in the center console (in the console between the front seats - under the arm rest). Given that the new head unit will produce more power, I wondered if other people have found it worthwhile to add an amp to power it. I replaced the dash speakers with pioneer and the overhead speakers (sound bar) with Alpine.

No overheating issues whatsoever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts