Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it the same basic idea as the wheels? Was not 100% sure since its plastic and not alloy or steel. Not sure how it will look on my greeny, but I am doing all black add ons (removing everything shiny and chrome/bright) and figured it might work. Any thoughts or more importantly, pics? I figure when I do my wheels, I'll go nuts and hit the grille and maybe the hinges.

Thanks in advance.

O|||||||O <<--- needs more cowbell or something!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good! Same prinicpal? Sand, clean, apply? Did you need any primer since it is hard plastic? I like it on the lighter colors, have not seen it with darker colors.

Since you have done it, have you noticed anything with front end chips or flaking?

·
Registered
595 Posts
CombatChuk said:
How did you prep the grill? Did you sand it at it all?
Those are painted just like everything else, lightly sand with 320 grit, clean with quick wipe of laquer thinner, and shoot your paint. Good to go. Oh use a tacky cloth after cleaning , if your not doing a texured paint!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Looks great, but I wonder how long paint wold last. Good bed liner would look great and have texture.

I agree, prep is the key!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks sharp. Have to add that to my list. What did you use for the guttergard mounts? That sounds more cost effective than the one I was looking at on QTEC!

·
Registered
8,554 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Those are painted just like everything else, lightly sand with 320 grit, clean with quick wipe of laquer thinner, and shoot your paint. Good to go. Oh use a tacky cloth after cleaning , if your not doing a texured paint!
Exactly what I did....my paint was textured so no need for the tacky cloth, I sanded by hand with the 320 just enough to scratch the surface,
then a good wipe down with acetone and sprayed a couple coats of the bed liner

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, McGuyver would be proud. I hope I can find this stuff over at Ace or Lowes. What is the material you used to get the mesh to mount to the actual grille? I get the zip ties and their anchors, but the thick glue like material?

And do you suggest doing the fender painting first?

·
Registered
771 Posts
I went with Rustoleum bedliner. I got it from walmart. I sanded with 100 Grit and cleaned, kinda, then painted. real easy and looks amazing on my white JK.

And the grille is barely even attached to the jeep, it takes about 1 min to get it off.
Good luck.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I got the gutter guard and the ties/anchors from Home Depot, and the two part plastic epoxy from National Auto, I sanded the inside of the Grill with the 320 paper wiped it down with acetone (Home Depot), I did not paint inside of Grill and after gluing anchors I let them cure for a day, then I cut the gutter guard in strips and anchored them inside, also I painted the face and the sides of the grill before attaching the gutter guard.

·
Registered
595 Posts
jadampowell said:
Exactly what I did....my paint was textured so no need for the tacky cloth, I sanded by hand with the 320 just enough to scratch the surface,
then a good wipe down with acetone and sprayed a couple coats of the bed liner
The secret is to wipe lightly and FAST, acetone and laquer thinner will melt the plastic if left soaking wet.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I am going to do it today. Just got back from Home Depot. I'll post pics shortly, after I figure out how to remove the GD grille!

·
Registered
8,554 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's sanded and dry, but I am unsure @ the acetone wash. What is the best way to go about applying it? Do I wipe it into a rag and just coat it or what! Let me know!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All done! Didn't take too long, my only mistake was trying to get a bug off the center of the damned grille and I smudged it. SO, I need to take it off next weekend when I do the billet insert. But it really was a piece of cake.

I am SO tempted to do the body matching fenders....LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts