Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
were down in the gatlinburg/pigeon forge TN area and brought my jeep. Would like to take it off road and aside from fire roads at the ranger stations i would like to actually go off roading. Nothing to crazy since there is only my jeep and i dont have much in recovery gear (no winch/Jack)

Im reading some good things about windrock and was just curious if anyone has been? Is it anything like Rausch Creek where you need a buddy to go out on the trail? if I do need a "buddy" will they set me up with one?

Just looking at doing green trails. I called them but it was early and havent heard back from them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would always take a second person/4x4
i know, thats why i was hopeing to find out if they set up walk ins with buddys that are also needing the same thing. Rausch creek does it, i cant find any info about this place and nobody is answering their phones..probably have better things todo like off roading :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
I been there quite a few times over the years, mostly motorcycles and recently in the Jeep. Things change there overnight sometimes with the rains we have been having. For the most part any of the 'G' (gravel roads) are pretty easy, but I got stuck on a patch of G39 the other day that I didnt think I was going to get out of (washout). The place is huge and sometimes not well marked due to people stealing signs and overgrowth blocking them, the newest map is a must have. I get lost at least once every time I go, cell phone service is spotty to none so bring a CB - or a friend and another 4x4 as mentioned. Lot of the hardcore locals trailer up there so they can do brave things - dont follow them lol.

Some of the moderate trails are pretty easy, some can get pretty bad, mostly getting over rocks and ruts.

Its a great place, I always go alone but I'm not afraid to turn around and go back if things get too rough.

You can buy passes at the gas station they show on their website, its per person and not per carload. I've never called there but there is usually someone there at the entrance on weekends selling passes/maps as well. I just stick to the easy stuff, be prepared to get some trail rash if you have to pass someone going the opposite way and a lot of the easy trails can get narrow in spots. Also some trails are ATV only so a map is a must.

You can always search you tube, search windrock and trail 22, 22 is still marked moderate so it will give yu an idea what you are looking at. Its worth going to for a day just to run the easy trails and take in some scenery. Its a couple hours from gatlinburg and well worth the ride, be prepared to get muddy, been having a lot of rain the last couple days.

If you are in gatlinburg you can also take a nice little ride on a gravel road off of cades cove, its called rich mountain road, it branched off the cades cove loop and its a one way gravel road. Nice ride and no chance of hurting anything..

·
Registered
325 Posts
Check out or post on www.knoxoffroad.com lots of people there run windrock, and possibly have people do weekday runs if that's what needed.

Also Cade's cove also has another gravel road, along with Rich Mtn, called Parsons Branch. That's gravel and scenic and ends on highway 129 the dragons tail. Fun in the cove, get a little off road on Parsons and motorcycle & curves on 129.

Goodluck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts