Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of taking the car ferry over from Wisconsin in June just wondering if its worth the trip since there's no sand around here to play on.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes I have been several times.

It's fun, you need a pass and a flag.

Visit the Michigan tourism site for full info.

It can be busy but it's fun either way.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Not in the Jeep yet but I've been a few times in other rigs. Lots of fun. You need a few different stickers/permits and a flag and make sure you air down. Every year I went I saw idiots stuck on the entrance hill because they didn't bother letting air out first.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I personally have never been, but I am a planning a trip up there. Met an older Jeeper at a local state park and we got to talking. He mentioned to me that I must take my jeep up there because he has such a blast up there. He said he and his wife have gone for a week every year for the past 25 to 30 years because they enjoy it so much.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I plan on making a trek over there this summer as well. It's been recommended to me by friends. Sounds like a great place for some weekend fun!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I took the Badger back home on a business trip last year. Real cool experience. Once you get out on the water you don't hear any mechanical noise from the ship, just the water. Pretty surreal.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Not in the Jeep yet but I've been a few times in other rigs. Lots of fun. You need a few different stickers/permits and a flag and make sure you air down. Every year I went I saw idiots stuck on the entrance hill because they didn't bother letting air out first.
That aint no joke. I was one of those idiots too. I was young and never been on sand before and could not comprehend how it would be that big of a deal. Sure as shit, I made it about 20 feet and got bogged down. Doing the only reasonable thing, I put my foot into it.

Didn't work.....:winner:

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have been with my JK a couple times. On weekends it is more crowded but you get to see more different types of vehicles. During the week is nice also because it is not so crowded.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info I marked off the time in June. Last time I was on the badger was coming home from my honeymoon 42 years ago should be like a cruise ship now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've never been there, but work a a couple of guys that go there regularly. Don't try and go on a holiday weekend. It is so busy that people line up the night before the make sure and get into the park. I only live about 100 miles from there.

You will need the flag mentioned above, I think they are about 10 ft or so.

Joe

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've been with a Commander HEMI a WK-1 With a 4.7L a HEMI JK and a new POWERWAGON. The most fun was in the Commander. The theater seating was a trip cresting over the hill. The POWERWAGON second just due to sure power. The JK third. It's almost too effortless. Personally I get bored after an hour but I enjoy watching all the hot rod trucks try and tackle what the stock POWERWAGON or a stock XK HEMI walked up. I would still recommend it. My best advice is to stay out of the water holes. They look fun but have unknown depths.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've never been there, but work a a couple of guys that go there regularly. Don't try and go on a holiday weekend. It is so busy that people line up the night before the make sure and get into the park. I only live about 100 miles from there.

You will need the flag mentioned above, I think they are about 10 ft or so.

Joe
Is that 10ft from the ground or from the bumper?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thinking of taking the car ferry over from Wisconsin in June just wondering if its worth the trip since there's no sand around here to play on.
I've been there the last few years on Labor Day weekend. It's a lot of fun with different types of areas such as big hills, tight two tracks through trees and water, and just deep water holes. I was able to do most of the hills in 2wd and it took many tries but I finally conquered starter hill in 4wd reverse. And make sure to air your tires down. I think I ran 10 psi. You need a Michigan State Park Pass, ORV permit, (possibly an ORV trail permit as well, can't remember. I always get both anyway), and a flag.

That aint no joke. I was one of those idiots too. I was young and never been on sand before and could not comprehend how it would be that big of a deal. Sure as shit, I made it about 20 feet and got bogged down. Doing the only reasonable thing, I put my foot into it.

Didn't work.....:winner:
Did you miss the big signs warning about the recommended psi? :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Never been in the Jeep, but went with a group of friends that all have RZRs. I'll definitely be going back with my sport quad or bike this summer.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I've been going to those dunes for over 30 years. They are a lot of fun especially if you have never been there before. Please remember to go slow and easy your first few trips around every day. The dunes will change from day to day. One day a dune will have a soft roll at the top and the next day it will be a steep drop off. I have seen to many people get hurt going to fast for conditions.

Two summers ago when I had my 75 bronco.

My old 95 YJ about 10 years ago.

Have fun and be safe.

Hank

1 - 20 of 52 Posts