Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I never bought a cruise control kit from them but I've bought a few other OEM parts from them over the years. Legit outfit.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
If anyone gets this and installs it themselves... could you post back here whether you needed the dealer to program it to work in the computer?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies - I'm gonna order one and have my brother-in-law, a retired mechanic install it. I'll post back with the results.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update - ordered the Mopar cruise from Wyckoff - no problems delivery, and looks like the genuine part - $99.95

Had my retired mechanic brother-in-law install it - took him just over an hour.

The hardest part is removing the round plastic cover from the centre of the steering wheel. The instructions' tool list don't show this, but you cannot use a regular slotted screwdriver, you have to use a right-angled one.

We ended up following the excellent instructions and photos from another forum - Installing Cruise Control

Works great, (and a green cruise indicator lights up on the dash when you turn it on), and you do not have to fiddle with the computer after installation.

I will mention this though, after the install, my ESC seems to kick in on corners when it shouldn't - not sure if it's related to the install, but, the timing of it is suspicious...........

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did a little research on the ESC issue. It only kicks on on right hand corners. Sure enough, we didn't get the steering wheel put on straight, even though we marked it - it's rotated a little left when driving straight, so I'm sure that's the issue. Fortunately, we now know how to get the horn/airbag cover off now :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took steering wheel off, and rotated it one spline clockwise - problem taken care of. Took 10 mins second time around, and we drove with the horn/airbag removed to test the adjustment.....
Cruise can be used 30 mph and upwards, didn't want to set at 25 mph.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
This might just be my next purchase. On a scale from 1-10 how difficult was it. I'm not the most inclined when it comes to working on cars.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This might just be my next purchase. On a scale from 1-10 how difficult was it. I'm not the most inclined when it comes to working on cars.
Hmmm - me neither.

The hardest part was removing the horn/air bag cover, you have to poke a right-angle slotted screwdriver into 3 holes in the plastic surround to dislodge metal clips from their plastic hooks, that I would rate as a 7 (10 being most difficult) - it's more a case of tedious trial and error than being technically difficult.

The rest of the job I'd rate as a 2 (1 being the easiest).

(Make sure you get the steering wheel back on straight *grins*)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Just wanted to thank those who posted on this. I just recieved and installed my cruise control! It will deffinatly make my 80 mile daily drives a little nicer.

Inthesticks, how much of a turn were you in when the light would come on? During my little test drive I noticed my wheel is turned to the left while driving straight (I marked mine too) but no light came on....yet. I'll have to re center it one of these nights, but I'm done for tonight. Removing that horn sucked. The one on the bottom was the worst.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I forgot to post about the install. I installed the speed control 2 weeks ago. I found the best tool to pry the metal latches on the airbag cover was one of those L shaped flathead screwdrivers. Didn't have to worry about putting my steering wheel in straight as it has a mark there already and seemed to have a thicker spline so I couldn't put it on wrong. I was careful not to turn the black plastic sensor thing though as I wasn't sure if it would cause a problem if rotated 360 degrees.

·
Registered
501 Posts
desertgoose said:
I forgot to post about the install. I installed the speed control 2 weeks ago. I found the best tool to pry the metal latches on the airbag cover was one of those L shaped flathead screwdrivers. Didn't have to worry about putting my steering wheel in straight as it has a mark there already and seemed to have a thicker spline so I couldn't put it on wrong. I was careful not to turn the black plastic sensor thing though as I wasn't sure if it would cause a problem if rotated 360 degrees.
Thats what I used too but still had a heck of a time. Mine was a little too long and the bend would hit the shroud while trying to get the clips off.

So that plastic part the wire harness plugs into is the sensor? Oops...I was playing around with it a lot. No light came on this morning but the crooked wheel bugs me. Think ill have to fix it tonight.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just wanted to thank those who posted on this. I just recieved and installed my cruise control! It will deffinatly make my 80 mile daily drives a little nicer.

Inthesticks, how much of a turn were you in when the light would come on? During my little test drive I noticed my wheel is turned to the left while driving straight (I marked mine too) but no light came on....yet. I'll have to re center it one of these nights, but I'm done for tonight. Removing that horn sucked. The one on the bottom was the worst.
Gun - Hmmm - trying to remember now, this will be vague, but, the steering wheel was rotated counter-clockwise just enough to be noticeable while driving straight - mebbee 10-15 degrees - hope that helps....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts