Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well today I was out for a ride .... I nailed a speed bump, ya know those small ones that are really sharp. I was at maybe 1300rpm and right after that I have what sounds somewhat like a rod knock....thank god it sounds very tinny, not that hammering sound like a rod. Well the suspension on this is very worn in the front, leaves are almost reversed arched and the front shocks are shot. I have been workin on trying to do a lift kit so I hate to replace the stock stuff with new stock stuff if ya know what I mean. I did a 2" body lift on it so it would fit the 31"MT's that I already had.
So here is what I noticed... there is a dent in the front of the oil pan that looks like it was there and I am pretty sure that the front axle hit the pan and I'm thinkin that I hit it again and now the crank or end of the rod is knockin on the pan. Uggghhh. I just cant win.... Guess I should of replaced those bump stops when I realized that the previous owner never did when they rotted off.
~Rich

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
If it's just a dented pan you should be able to hammer it back out, I've had to do it more than once but not on a Wrangler.
Just remember to go slow over the bumps till you get a lift.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thank god I was able to use the 3# mini sledge on the side of the pan to un bend the pan without dropping the pan. No more knock. Main problem is the fact that there are no bump stops on it. They rotted off.....lol. So I need to rig up something till the lift cause I hate to buy the same thing 2x's
If I replace the factory bump stops and the do the lift I will need different ones then anyway.I need to find a chunk off rubber......hmmmmm.
~Rich

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Most lift kits will come with a bracket that bolts to the axle to compensate for the added height. They do not typically come with new bump stops. You should get yourself some new ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts