Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it even possible to turn off ESP on a 2013 first of all. I have an 08 JKUR and that was a little bit up a trick when you finally did the dance right. I don't know so this is the place to go with a question like that.

PS I did look around for some info.:punk:

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Are you meaning to turn it off completely for good? If so, I don't believe you can do that.

But as far as temporarily, yes, that's easy. It goes off automatically in 4L, or you can hold down the ESC button for 5 seconds while in 4H to turn it off.

And there are tons of threads about this too.
Here's a start I guess.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/to-esp-or-not-to-esp-61521.html

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kramer2k said:
Are you meaning to turn it off completely for good? If so, I don't believe you can do that.

But as far as temporarily, yes, that's easy. It goes off automatically in 4L, or you can hold down the ESC button for 5 seconds while in 4H to turn it off.

And there are tons of threads about this too.
Here's a start I guess.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/to-esp-or-not-to-esp-61521.html
Yes u was talking for good like on my 08. I rather have it all off even when rwd in the snow

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
What kind of dance are you having to go through? I have a 2012 and all I have to do is press the ESP button... :confused:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Con Artist said:
What kind of dance are you having to go through? I have a 2012 and all I have to do is press the ESP button... :confused:
There is a steering wheel dance to do to turn it off permanently (at least there was, no one seems to know if it works on the 13's). If you turn it off with the button it comes back on next time you restart the Jeep.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sueby said:
There is a steering wheel dance to do to turn it off permanently (at least there was, no one seems to know if it works on the 13's). If you turn it off with the button it comes back on next time you restart the Jeep.
It turns back on at I think 40mph too

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
i'm going to play the part of the dummy and ask what esp is
Emu Scaring Pants
Energetic Seasonal Parrot
Emergency Seat Propeller
Electronic Slip Protection
Extra Sausage Pizza
Electric Slumber Party

Take your pick!

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Hmm, didn't know about that. I'll check my owner's manual...

i'm going to play the part of the dummy and ask what esp is
Electronic Slip Protection, Stability Control, etc...in simple terms, it's Traction Control.

·
Registered
38,318 Posts
KittyPrawn said:
Emu Scaring Pants
Energetic Seasonal Parrot
Emergency Seat Propeller
Electronic Stability Program
Extra Sausage Pizza
Electric Slumber Party

Take your pick!
I thought it was extra sensory perception. I think it would be awesome if my jeep could read my mind

·
Registered
784 Posts
I don't think that turns it off, I think it just makes it more lenient before kicking in.
This.. And doesn't really do anything, but turn on the dashlight to make you think its off. When ESC has activated on mine, it made absolutely no difference on mine when I hit the button and went back to recreate it again. The steering wheel dance did, but the annoying chime every couple of minutes got the best of me and I turned it back on.

Its in my owners manual, I'd say if its not in yours, the lawsuits took the option away.
You could always try the procedure and see.

http:/ http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/electrical/154_0905_wrangler_control_system/photo_05.html

·
Registered
765 Posts
i turn it off in 4HI ...especially on snow and ice.. no need to restrict me from spinning the tires when needed.

is it really that difficult to turn it off every time?

it saved my ass once. for sure. i'm glad it's there [roll mitigation specifically]

was going 70 MPH down the highway -slow lane- vehicle in front of me exited the lane onto the exit ramp. next thing i know she's back in the slow lane doing 20MPH! no time for breaks.. swerved around her and i know i'd have rolled if not for computer intervention.

·
Registered
784 Posts
i turn it off in 4HI ...especially on snow and ice.. no need to restrict me from spinning the tires when needed.

Yeah in the dirt and snow, ill do the quick steering wheel dance. I deal with the chimes for the wheelspin and fun.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
MikeK46 said:
I don't think that turns it off, I think it just makes it more lenient before kicking in.
To turn it off completely, i believe you have to hold the button in for a few seconds. I don't think it stays that way, however. You can probably search the forums for the instructions.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts