Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Live in PA, Cop pulled me over for the sole purpose of checking my tires. He was shocked they passed inspection and then said he would let me go since they were barely past the fenders. WTF.

Gonna be fun running no doors and big tires this summer in PA.

Little background - 17x9 wheels with 4.5 backspacing and 285-75-17 Ridge Grapplers on a 2015 JKU lifted 2".

Can I get a ticket in the future now since I passed inspection and one cop already said I was fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,895 Posts
Live in PA, Cop pulled me over for the sole purpose of checking my tires. He was shocked they passed inspection and then said he would let me go since they were barely past the fenders. WTF.

Gonna be fun running no doors and big tires this summer in PA.

Little background - 17x9 wheels with 4.5 backspacing and 285-75-17 Ridge Grapplers on a 2015 JKU lifted 2".

Can I get a ticket in the future now since I passed inspection and one cop already said I was fine?

IMO Pa is/has practically declared War on Jeeps.
I'm not sure if a Jeep ran over some politicians hamster (after it fell out his ass) OR a Jeep Owner slept with a prior Governors Girlfriend while he was out to dinner with his wife or what BUT..... Pa is NOT a Jeep friendly state.

There is a Lot to Not like about Pa these days... Judges, Corruption, Taxes, the weather, the opioid epidemic, crime, urban blight BUT for me - Owning/Driving Jeeps and getting hassled is the Big one.

Monster trucks EVERYWHERE, Motorcycles with gutted pipes EVERYWHERE, Idiots in slammed civics and texting Drivers - No problem BUT drive a Jeep and you might as well hang a dead puppy from your bumper and wear a Hitler outfit while you flip off passing LE's.

It Sucks. I'm from Pa and am growing to Hate it.
Oh yeah, my $12,000 property tax bill for a school my kids didn't even go to is due. We are the Only State in America with a Lieutenent Governors Mansion with a POS L. Gov who is under investigation because him and his bitch wife abuse their State police security detail and the Maids at the mansion.

Oh, my tires don't stick out btw, you asked

and DON'T take your Doors Off - They might kill you for that.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Unless the nice officer was kind enough to give you a "Get Out of Jail Free" card, you can probably expect to get stopped and possibly cited at some point.

Boy, am I glad I am in Arizona.

Reactions: n3tfury

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow, lots of reason's to hate PA! It sounds like someone has pissed you off about our state, I guess it's time to move.

In response to the OP:

I drive with doors off past police officers all the time. I have mirrors installed, I don't drive like an idiot, and I obey traffic laws. It's never been an issue for me in PA. My tires technically stick out slightly past the fenders but by no means are obnoxious like i've seen on some jeeps where they stick out by the length of the fenders, which in my opinion is dangerous anyway to bike riders/walkers/other vehicles.

·
Premium Member
16,895 Posts
Soon as it is feasible, heading to NC (probably) in the meantime... Driving a Jeep in Pa "IS" location sensitive. The problem being, we have a tendency to eventually venture out into "other" areas seeking adventure etc.
Not knowing what area(s) is/are the problems is a PIA.
Nice day, wanna get naked and go for a day trip to wherever and lights/ticket/no action.

Why? Good question. Pa is somewhat known for being an outside/sporting destination state. It is cash strapped and ticketing Jeeps is a sure thing from a revenue perspective.
My irritation is how/why the other Glaring examples of rule breaking goes unmolested.
Lifted Full Size Pick-up trucks ARE an enormous threat to others safety.
They are everywhere.
Harleys that will make your ears bleed - Everywhere ....... nothing enforced.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He even argued my front fenders are illegal since they are wider than 3 inches.

I told him I didn't change those it came from the manufacturer with those fenders. He said still illegal but didn't mention anything else about it.

I am in Pittsburgh and have been running doorless without issue for two years. I was a little shocked about the tires. I knew I was slightly over the limit but barely. Different wheels and back spacing would solve it but I would rather spend the money somewhere else.

It's been a month since I lifted and got the tires. My wife's response "well that didn't take you long!"

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My tires stick out past my fenders a fair amount ~3.75 back spacing and 35x12.5 tires, didn't get hassled while I was at my parents over the holidays, but I'd agree that PAs vehicle laws are not incredibly mod friendly.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Wow, that's terrible. Can't even tell your tires stick out in the picture. Around my neck of the woods the only thing cops bother with is tint on front door windows. I'm not even sure if Im required to use a front plate haha

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thankfully out here in Cali they don't care too much about anything like that, at least in my area. There are a couple LEO's in one of the 4x4 clubs and the basically say don't be a dick and you won't get pulled over.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thankfully out here in Cali they don't care too much about anything like that, at least in my area. There are a couple LEO's in one of the 4x4 clubs and the basically say don't be a dick and you won't get pulled over.:thumb:

Thats what I always thought but I was just driving back to work and there was actually a lot of traffic so wasn't moving fast at all I was in the far left lane and he was off in a parking lot staring straight into the traffic as it went by. He had to pull out, which took a couple cars going by, then switch lanes to get behind me. And like I said with the traffic it was moving but not even fast plus my work was coming up so I would be turning in the parking lot so I couldn't drive fast or act dumb. And yes he pulled me over in my company's parking lot!

I was definitely driving appropriate. So go figure.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts