Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if they are experiencing hard time to get into 2nd gear on their manual trans.? I have had manual cars for years, but beyond the long throws and long clutch travel, the second gear seems to be particularly hard to get smooth. It seems that the clutch has to travel soooo long to get the sweet spot for a smooth transition and once there it's almost at the end of the couch pedal travel. It is prevalent in the other gears, just not as much as in 2nd. Can this be adjusted? I have a 2113 jku.
Thanks to all the knowledgable people here for your anticipated help.:thumb:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Been driving stick for 28 years. My new 13 jk is taking some getting used to. Not like anything I've had before. Had mine for about three weeks, much better now than the day I got it. Just give it some time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm feeling the same pain. I've had my 13 for 2 weeks now and just rolled 500 miles. Even being my 4th jeep I'm struggling with 2nd gear, almost a borderline grind in lower rpm ranges. I am noticing as the miles go on if I wait to shift to 2nd around 4k and up its much smoother like the other gears. I'll be watching to see if this is the norm until officially broke in, I was thinking its just me being used to inlines and not the higher revving 3.6. I read another post about someone just getting theirs and it had low fluid, I'm going to check mine tomorrow.

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
There were issues with some of the '12's when going into 2nd, 4th, 6th and reverse. They had to trim the shifter boot somehow, the worst they could tell you if you take it in is to give it some time. If for some reason it doesn't get better and it's your 2nd trip for the same issue it might get a little more attention.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I thought second gear was just a pain in the ***. Maybe I should get it checked out. I do notice having it at a higher rpm like 3k it shifts smoother and the clutch catches better. I have a 2012 with 2500 miles

·
Registered
195 Posts
I feel 2nd is funny when cold on my 12. My fluid was down 1/2 a quart when new as well. Get a 14mm Allen key and check the fluid. I noticed no difference but I feel better knowing its full.

·
Registered
35 Posts
2nd gear takes some getting used to. You'll get the hang of it. I've been driving stick for 20 years and this is my 2nd Jeep, and it took a couple months to find all the sweet spots. It's a rough shifter.

2012 JKU Sahara, 17k miles

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
There were issues with some of the '12's when going into 2nd, 4th, 6th and reverse. They had to trim the shifter boot somehow, the worst they could tell you if you take it in is to give it some time. If for some reason it doesn't get better and it's your 2nd trip for the same issue it might get a little more attention.
Mine is a pain in the ass to get into Reverse. Prior to backing up, I have to go to Neutral, move the stick from side to side, then swing it into Reverse. If I don't, sometimes Reverse doesn't fully engage, and then if I try to back up, the vehicle won't go anywhere, and I'll just get this really loud "knocking" sound like something is "spinning" and not "catching" where it should. Then, I have to wait until the RPMs come down to normal before trying again. :facepalm:

Most of the time I notice some "scratchiness" when shifting, if anything.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I must be the only one that finds this tranny (2012 6 speed) to be the easiest to use than any other manual I've ever owned or driven (been driving manuals for 30+ years and owned at least 8 manual tranny vehicles and driven many others).

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
I must be the only one that finds this tranny (2012 6 speed) to be the easiest to use than any other manual I've ever owned or driven (been driving manuals for 30+ years and owned at least 8 manual tranny vehicles and driven many others).
It's easy to use, that's not the issue, the issue is getting it into gear correctly. For me, the transmission is temperamental, and I believe that's the same issue the OP is trying to hint to.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Con Artist said:
Mine is a pain in the ass to get into Reverse. Prior to backing up, I have to go to Neutral, move the stick from side to side, then swing it into Reverse. If I don't, sometimes Reverse doesn't fully engage, and then if I try to back up, the vehicle won't go anywhere, and I'll just get this really loud "knocking" sound like something is "spinning" and not "catching" where it should. Then, I have to wait until the RPMs come down to normal before trying again. :facepalm:

Most of the time I notice some "scratchiness" when shifting, if anything.
I have same problem with not engaging in reverse. I can kinda tell when it's not all he way back now that I'm used to it. I just hold pressure on it back, then let out the clutch. It'll clunk in and engage every time.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
I have same problem with not engaging in reverse. I can kinda tell when it's not all he way back now that I'm used to it. I just hold pressure on it back, then let out the clutch. It'll clunk in and engage every time.
I have to give it a good yank into Reverse, and I can kinda "feel" when the stick is in the proper position...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To be more specific...

I can get it into gear easily, just makes the vehicle jut forward from first to second. Not smooth, like from 4th to 5th or 5th to 6th. Almost as if I need more "catch" from the clutch. Sorry it's hard to explain over the net:banghead:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have the same problem on my 09 JKU that I have had for over a year now. Many people reported on this when I first researched. You definitely need to ease it into second. Had to stop drag racing at the red lights.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't mean to shoot a dead horse with this post, however this morning I found if you treat 2nd gear more like 1st gear it becomes more of a smooth transition. It funny though, I never had a stick shift like this before. Oh we'll I guess it'll just take some getting used to... :thumb:

·
Registered
755 Posts
Marcsblackjeep said:
I have a 2113 jku.
Wow, you'd think with all these people having this issue, Jeep would have it taken care of by 2113;)

But seriously i know pretty much everything is different but my '99 is tricky to get a smooth shift into 2nd as well, although it usually improves as it warms up. Might just be one of those jeep things

·
Registered
694 Posts
Never ever a problem getting into any gear on my JKUR. Must be because its auto. Seriously my other JK is a 2012 6 speed. Its smooth as butter in any gear. Never had a problem yet. It does have long throws which takes more time between gears. My auto is quicker all around, but the stick is more fun on the road.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
It's easy to use, that's not the issue, the issue is getting it into gear correctly. For me, the transmission is temperamental, and I believe that's the same issue the OP is trying to hint to.
If it was easy to use then you would have no problem getting it into gear correctly..easy means easy as in no problems.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
6 spds are notorious for having notchy 2nd gear. Just shift nice and slow and make a bit of a pause before you put it into gear.

For me driving the Jeep is easier than any other stick. I don't get why everyone else has so many issues.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, shifting from 1st to 2nd sucks...especially when cold. If I'm going downhill I usually skip second and go straight for third.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.