Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just subscribed to the service and think it's pretty cool. It's WiFi for your car and come with other features. I thought a cool one for Jeep owners is the "disturbance alert". You get a notification of a "disturbance" with your vehicle which I think is when a door is opened. Great for when the top is down or people with softops. I guess it wouldn't help if your doors are off though. You get trip history and also AAA included as well. I got it for the wifi for the kids, but think it's a pretty great deal for $10/mo ($15 if not on autopay).

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Didn't even know this existed. Went and checked it out and it seems like too much of a tattle tale to me. I use cash for 90% of our purchaces, never use CC unless I have to, never use any stores discount club memberships due to the tracking they allow. I never shop on-line unless I can't find it locally first. I have a smart phone and that is all the tracking I can stomach. EVERYTHING we do these days is tracked. It just seems to me like another way to track our every move. PLUS- I would have to see if my Verizon 'hot spot' phone's coverage is better than Sprint's coverage. If Sprint is better, I might have to switch my cell phone company over to Sprint, but it doubt if it will be. My Verizon is about 85-90% USABLE coverage with very few dead spots, even in the remote regions of states like NEVADA.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't even know this existed. Went and checked it out and it seems like too much of a tattle tale to me. I use cash for 90% of our purchaces, never use CC unless I have to, never use any stores discount club memberships due to the tracking they allow. I never shop on-line unless I can't find it locally first. I have a smart phone and that is all the tracking I can stomach. EVERYTHING we do these days is tracked. It just seems to me like another way to track our every move. PLUS- I would have to see if my Verizon 'hot spot' phone's coverage is better than Sprint's coverage. If Sprint is better, I might have to switch my cell phone company over to Sprint, but it doubt if it will be. My Verizon is about 85-90% USABLE coverage with very few dead spots, even in the remote regions of states like NEVADA.
I thought about this too but they are already tracking all four of the phones in my family so what is one more device. You can simply unplug it if you don't want to be tracked at any one time. I personally don't really care about any of my activities being tracked since my life isn't really that interesting. lol

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
I thought about this too but they are already tracking all four of the phones in my family so what is one more device. You can simply unplug it if you don't want to be tracked at any one time. I personally don't really care about any of my activities being tracked since my life isn't really that interesting. lol
True!! The only people that have something to hide are the criminals. Sometimes, tracking can get you out of trouble if you're being accused to something you didn't do. BUT, like I said, my Verizon phone is a hot spot and, "I THINK" has better coverage throughout the rural areas where us Jeepers like to go. I'll have to go read it again, BUT didn't is say you could track your vehicle if it got stolen?

·
Registered
821 Posts
There are more and more new vehicles coming with wifi built in everyday.
Typically any other antenna you might see on a vehicle besides the AM/FM is Sat/4G.
We all know that Sat just needs a little flat puck so if there is any vertical fin sticking up from that flat puck wifi was at least an option from the factory.

Now I'm going to assume you need to be a Sprint Customer 1st for the $10-15/month pricing?
As 87_YJ said, Sprint is great in a Metro area or along any major interstate, get very far from there and Sprint is pretty much useless, Verizon or At&t have the networks for those who like to explore.

As far as the whole tracking concern, do you really think these companies employ enough people to really care about what you do everyday?
All the latest news stories were even stories because they were outside the US contractors reviewing the data, so contract companies that don't have a clue who you are looking at your data to see if your search results make sense.
If they don't know who you are, cause you aren't a customer of theirs so they have zero detailed info on you, they just know where you been and what you bought.
That and a $1.50 might get you a coffee...

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sprint has free voice roaming with many carriers (Verizon, ATT, US Cell, etc) and free LTE roaming as well. They limit you on "extended LTE" however. I've never hit the cap but I'm sure others have. You don't have to be a customer to use the Drive.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,306 Posts
As someone who has had Sprint for 6 years in a weird area of the country, I can tell you they BLOW. Hard. Living in a community of 300k people and the next major city is 5 hours in any direction, connectivity in town alone is hit or miss. That's been with a Apple 8+, a Note 4, 5 and now 10 as well as a Tab 4. Once you get out of the major area, its good for about 45 mins in any direction. After that LTE fails. Roaming 3G is super slow and roaming is inoperable.

If I lived in a major metropolitan area, I could see it being useful. But I will tell you now, if you expect it to have any connectivity outside of town, I can attest... forget about it.

Can you hear me now? Huh? What? :LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts