Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for people that have an automatic 4cyl 2.5L wrangler with 32" tires. Do you still have power to cruise on the highway? Because I dont want to regear it.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
only other options are, dont run in drive, or change to smaller tires.

Its a gearing option and there is no way around it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
only other options are, dont run in drive, or change to smaller tires.

Its a gearing option and there is no way around it.
I know that but i am looking for people that have had experience with this because i want to make sure I will still have power for the highways. I have heard that it will struggle on hills but other than that is good, just trying to confirm this.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Sorry, mis read your original statement; yes you can run it, but chances are you will notice a loss of power. If an over drive trans, then depending on your power needs just shift down a gear.

Automatics are a little forgiving, although you may end up generating more heat in it as the torque converter slips. A cooler would help, or run in a lower gear.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
I have a 2.5 TBI with 33s and yes I need to regear it is a shame because that is a long way off $$$$. But in town it iss great, I use a lot oof low range on the trails and the rest of club gets better scenic rides on the way to the trail when I am along. Top is 60-65 on the flat and I never use 5th gear unless I am doownhill. But with the auto you may get a lot better than what I get. Good luck and maybe there is some good gears in your future.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 2.5 TBI with 33s and yes I need to regear it is a shame because that is a long way off $$$$. But in town it iss great, I use a lot oof low range on the trails and the rest of club gets better scenic rides on the way to the trail when I am along. Top is 60-65 on the flat and I never use 5th gear unless I am doownhill. But with the auto you may get a lot better than what I get. Good luck and maybe there is some good gears in your future.
Well I 99% of the highways that I go on have a speed limit of 55mph thats why I figured I would be fine and not have to spend a ton of money to regear. Also I figured 32s would weigh a little less than a 33

1 - 6 of 6 Posts