Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on jeepforum.com that later this year they are going to release a HEMI verison must likely in the unlimited. I also confirmed with dealer that there are mounting holes for another engine possible a V8. What is the word on this? Is this true and if so when is the expect timeframe? I'm about to order a Unlimited Sahara but will wait if they are coming out with one. Any input on this matter would be very helpful.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
blasphemy.
Ha, Andy don't freak out it's just a JF link. You don't have to click on it. :D

Pita, Honestly there is plenty of room under the bonnet of the JK to put a V8 in there. The only people that really know if they are going to put the 5.7 in the Wrangler is the boys at DC. I would assume they probably won't add in a new engine/tranny combo in the middle of a model year. So if it is going to be a reality then it will be the 09 models that will start sprouting up sometime this fall.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i have heard rumors of a conversion kit that may be coming out so that you can install a v8 hemi, but not anything by jeep

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Why on earth would anyone want a hemi in a wrangler?
No offense intended but todays hemi's are gutless wonders, the only thing they have going for em is the name.

Now if they come up with a good diesel I'll get a little excited.

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
Why on earth would anyone want a hemi in a wrangler?
No offense intended but todays hemi's are gutless wonders, the only thing they have going for em is the name.

Now if they come up with a good diesel I'll get a little excited.
They may not be the HEMI's of the past, which I agree with, but they put out an extra 100 hp, and only add 50 pounds of weight, so it's not a bad upgrade choice.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
They may not be the HEMI's of the past, which I agree with, but they put out an extra 100 hp, and only add 50 pounds of weight, so it's not a bad upgrade choice.
x2...gutless? IMO i think they are powerful...maybe not for a full size power wagon RAM but for a cherokee or a jeep i think it's great.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
x2.... 300lbs/tq with the skinny peddle..in a jeep?! Ew maybe they could give it active fuel managment too! :D

wait..better...HEMI in a rubicon..4low 4-1..1st gear, both diffs locked..:eek: :eek: .sexy? :D

But, alas, still no diesel...
i think ill stick with my poor little Rubi with a tiny little 6.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Yes, gutless, they have no power at lower rpms which is where you want it in an off road vehicle unless you're running sand drags or mud bogs.

My buddy and I bought a pair of 03 Rams, he got the hemi and I got the Cummins, he did nothing but complain about the lack of power unless he had it just screaming.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Yes, gutless, they have no power at lower rpms which is where you want it in an off road vehicle unless you're running sand drags or mud bogs.

My buddy and I bought a pair of 03 Rams, he got the hemi and I got the Cummins, he did nothing but complain about the lack of power unless he had it just screaming.
hence the reason i said "unless its in something like a RAM"

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
So why woiuld you want an engine that produces the bulk of its power at higher rpms in a short wheel base off road rig?

You use torque in off roading, you need that torque right off of idle, not at 4000 rpms.

I just can't see where you could ever utilize the potential of the power plant unless you plan on racing and the short wheel base would make high speed manoeuverability rather umm exciting.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I dont know, just seems fun to have a small black and a 4:1 transfer case in a short wheel base convertable... :) I see potential. Besides, all you would have to do is change a camshaft and some supporting components and reprogram the computer right quick, and BAM you got a down low torque monster. I am sure the Jeep side of DC could handle that.

Or we could just get a diesel.

Or we could just go back to the 4.0.

Whichever is fine with me, I never plan on leaving Jeep anytime soon again. But like I said above, I would just like to see it just because. Kind of like that V10 tomahawk motorcycle thing. Useless, but such a badass concept. I think I would rather see the HEMI Rubicon SWB wrangler as a concept Jeep, maybe have a couple to play with at the Jeep Jamoborees, but thats about it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a Hemi in my TJ (kinda) custom Jeep and it's great. Much more torque and more seat of the pants feel than my other Jeep (YJ) with a TBI 350 Chev. Both rigs have near identical gearing, weight and tire size (37's). The only real disadvantage I see with the Hemi is that it sounds so damn cool (headers and flowmaster) that you can't keep your foot out of it:D .

As for Hemi's in the JK, Burnsville Off Road has been offering this conversion since the JK was first released. They can sell you either a 5.7 or a 6.1. It's a 'turn key' product where everything works as if it came factory equipped.

My DCX contact tells me that the Hemi will never go into a factory JK due to it's interference into the passenger compartment in a crash. But he also says that deflectors could be built that would push the motor down during a crash. So, nothing is set in stone.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Answer I got this weekend, was yes V8, may or may not be the hemi.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Burnsville Offroad as done one, I believe (as well as a diesel). Unlike the TJ, the JK is set up with the drive-by-wire stuff that the Liberty and Commander/Grand Cherokee use...so conversion is a radiator and motor mount swap rather than TONS of transplant and re-engineering.

I wouldn't be surprised to see different engines offered, but I don't expect them to come out soon. And they probably won't come with a manual tranny, either.

Your pal,
Meat.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts