Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my issue with Jeep dealers. After scouring the Internet for weeks, it seems, looking for the perfect Jeep, using the Jeep.com search function. I find a couple of half door jku, in purple. That's fantastic, right? Finding the perfect t Jeep, with the options you want, pretty simple, 6spd, 3.73 gears, connectivity, Sport, no frills, just thrills. Then you contact the dealer to see if it's still available. It is. Except one thing.....the 27k Jeep you just found, has been updated, so now you're great affordable Jeep find is now 42k. If I had wanted to drop 42k for a brand new Jeep, I would've bought a Rubicon. The dealerships do whatever they can,to make sure they sell these things as high as they can.
The used market is worse. I've seen many Jeep a few years old, with 40k miles and the dealer wants 30k for it. More than I just paid for a 2017. 2015 Sport, minimal options, and they want more than you can buy a new one.
I don't get it.
Also, don't get me started on dealers and the way they try to scam you on the price. Website shows their internet special price, and when you sho up, try to negate that price. And charge something higher. Ugh!
Ok....time to go drive my new Jeep. :0)

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
Why not just order the Jeep you want, the way you want it. Much less time consuming then trying to find that perfect Jeep already built..

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Ha!, yeah if a thought buying a jeep is difficult, I can't get dealerships to respond to my emails about factory ordering a GMC yukon at ~5% below invoice.... basically looking for about $6K off sticker. One dealer replied: "what is my plan to make up for the $6K price difference?", yeah, like I'm paying MSRP, LOL!

Seems like you bought a 2017 so you are all set?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I ordered my new Willys and got it in 22 days, I got every option I wanted and didn't have to pay for things I didn't want. Many posters complain about this, when you can order and get exactly what you want. :banghead:

trainman

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"The dealerships do whatever they can,to make sure they sell these things as high as they can."

never heard of such a thing......maybe Bernie Sanders AutoRama has a better deal
I dont know about Bernie Sanders, and perhaps you're trying to slyly hurl an insult at me.

But, if the dealer is trying to make as much as they can, then why order sports at all? I don't want the crap they put on them, I want to put my own crap on it. That's why I'm looking for a base model Jeep. Get it?

Reactions: rangerbluedog

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why not just order the Jeep you want, the way you want it. Much less time consuming then trying to find that perfect Jeep already built..
Conflicting reports from dealers saying you can't order anymore 17s.
But I found one, so it's all good.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ha!, yeah if a thought buying a jeep is difficult, I can't get dealerships to respond to my emails about factory ordering a GMC yukon at ~5% below invoice.... basically looking for about $6K off sticker. One dealer replied: "what is my plan to make up for the $6K price difference?", yeah, like I'm paying MSRP, LOL!

Seems like you bought a 2017 so you are all set?

Yes, I bought one, and got a great deal, too. Way under msrp, too.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I dont know about Bernie Sanders, and perhaps you're trying to slyly hurl an insult at me.

But, if the dealer is trying to make as much as they can, then why order sports at all? I don't want the crap they put on them, I want to put my own crap on it. That's why I'm looking for a base model Jeep. Get it?
Dealers get new Wranglers two ways:

1) Customer orders - this is where you go in, tell them you want XYZ options, they order it with deposit, you pay balance when it gets there.
2) FCA Allocation - Based on the number of Jeeps sold last period, FCA allocates a certain number to be shipped to the dealer. Dealer gets what FCA ships. Dealer does not have any say in what they get, FCA basically ships based on aggregated sales volume to keep the stock at a certain number of days' turnover (I believe 75 days is standard for the motor vehicle industry?).

The dealership has no say in what they get via allocation. This is why there are dozens of manual transmission Wranglers sitting in metropolitan area dealer lots priced under MSRP, and the few automatic transmission equipped allocations they get are priced at/above MSRP every day of the week. Inverse also true, automatic priced under MSRP in rural areas, while manuals fly off the lot at/above MSRP. It's a braindead way of doing business, but FCA gives zero f*cks, because Wrangler is their bread and butter, with Jeep being the ONLY profitable division of the company.

So, to less long-windedly answer your question, because the dealer gets a bunch of turds they don't want and can't sell at $X/unit profit margin, so they polish the turds a bit to try and get to that doller-per-unit margin, and try to avoid sales slumps, lest they get fewer turds next sales quarter, meaning they'd have to make a higher dollar-per-unit margin to keep the lights on.

If you don't like what's on offer, "special order" process takes 3-8 weeks depending on backlog. Check out the sticky at the top of this subforum:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/so-you-want-to-buy-a-jk-u-heres-how-to-save-2026289.html

Best of luck!
O_E

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"The dealerships do whatever they can,to make sure they sell these things as high as they can."

never heard of such a thing......maybe Bernie Sanders AutoRama has a better deal
I guess there may be one in Vermont, and near you, in Oregon.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dealers get new Wranglers two ways:

1) Customer orders - this is where you go in, tell them you want XYZ options, they order it with deposit, you pay balance when it gets there.
2) FCA Allocation - Based on the number of Jeeps sold last period, FCA allocates a certain number to be shipped to the dealer. Dealer gets what FCA ships. Dealer does not have any say in what they get, FCA basically ships based on aggregated sales volume to keep the stock at a certain number of days' turnover (I believe 75 days is standard for the motor vehicle industry?).

The dealership has no say in what they get via allocation. This is why there are dozens of manual transmission Wranglers sitting in metropolitan area dealer lots priced under MSRP, and the few automatic transmission equipped allocations they get are priced at/above MSRP every day of the week. Inverse also true, automatic priced under MSRP in rural areas, while manuals fly off the lot at/above MSRP. It's a braindead way of doing business, but FCA gives zero f*cks, because Wrangler is their bread and butter, with Jeep being the ONLY profitable division of the company.

So, to less long-windedly answer your question, because the dealer gets a bunch of turds they don't want and can't sell at $X/unit profit margin, so they polish the turds a bit to try and get to that doller-per-unit margin, and try to avoid sales slumps, lest they get fewer turds next sales quarter, meaning they'd have to make a higher dollar-per-unit margin to keep the lights on.

If you don't like what's on offer, "special order" process takes 3-8 weeks depending on backlog. Check out the sticky at the top of this subforum:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/so-you-want-to-buy-a-jk-u-heres-how-to-save-2026289.html

Best of luck!
O_E
I get all of that, what I don't understand is the dealership adding lift kits and 35's on Jeep with 3.21 gears. The Jeeps aren't being adequately set up, but, unsuspecting customers are buying these not knowing that. Just on that alone, makes me not want to buy.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
this whole thing will be less of an issue when Toledo gets more capacity from the overhaul. there will be more selection of models, features, colors, etc. orders may even ship quicker, and dealers will be more likely to offer discounts right off the bat since they can make up for lower profits with volume

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I get all of that, what I don't understand is the dealership adding lift kits and 35's on Jeep with 3.21 gears. The Jeeps aren't being adequately set up, but, unsuspecting customers are buying these not knowing that. Just on that alone, makes me not want to buy.
Because the dealer isn't going to warrant those "upgrades" - meaning the buyer gets to pay AGAIN when stuff breaks to have it fixed.

Makes me think of the $85k "military grade" JKU that was sitting on the showroom floor of a local Jeep dealer. Tons of aftermarket crap, 37" kevlar tires, but still riding on stock 4.10 Rubicon axles, no truss / armor, NO armor underneath whatsoever. First time the buyer actually does any offroading in it, they're going to rip out the entire undercarriage, and the dealer's going to laugh all the way to the bank.

O_E

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Here's my issue with Jeep dealers. After scouring the Internet for weeks, it seems, looking for the perfect Jeep, using the Jeep.com search function. I find a couple of half door jku, in purple. That's fantastic, right? Finding the perfect t Jeep, with the options you want, pretty simple, 6spd, 3.73 gears, connectivity, Sport, no frills, just thrills. Then you contact the dealer to see if it's still available. It is. Except one thing.....the 27k Jeep you just found, has been updated, so now you're great affordable Jeep find is now 42k. If I had wanted to drop 42k for a brand new Jeep, I would've bought a Rubicon. The dealerships do whatever they can,to make sure they sell these things as high as they can.
The used market is worse. I've seen many Jeep a few years old, with 40k miles and the dealer wants 30k for it. More than I just paid for a 2017. 2015 Sport, minimal options, and they want more than you can buy a new one.
I don't get it.
Also, don't get me started on dealers and the way they try to scam you on the price. Website shows their internet special price, and when you sho up, try to negate that price. And charge something higher. Ugh!
Ok....time to go drive my new Jeep. :0)
Personally you should have known the price was wrong before you contacted them. There is no way you are getting brand new JKU for 27K

1 - 20 of 45 Posts