Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed the Teraflex hinge a few weeks ago in anticipation of upgrading to 35's, then after installing the 35's, realized the spare wouldn't fit with the factory carrier :facepalm: So I figured what the hell, this gives me a good excuse to upgrade to the HD carrier, and found out the hard way that..... it kinda sucks. Don't get me wrong, the hinge itself is a high quality, solid piece, and I believe that it does an excellent job of what its supposed to do, which is reinforce the tailgate and transfer the weight to the hinge. My issue is with the tire carrier itself. I was leery of the whole 2 piece design with the pinch bolts to begin with but went ahead and gave it a shot. I followed all the instructions exactly, put the tire on where its against the hinge, marked it, took the tire back off and pushed the carrier in another 1/8th, tightened the living hell out of the pinch bolts, then put the tire back on. The tire was pressed firmly against the hinge. Did some light wheeling the next day on the beach for go topless day, and when I got home noticed that the tire had moved away from the hinge at least an eighth of an inch. I'm not knocking Teraflex, I know they make some quality stuff, but I think this design is flawed. And for over $600, I shouldn't have to worry about my spare coming off. Anyone else having or had this issue?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Its only been a week, but no issues with mine either.

I wonder if putting a bunch of silicone on the inner mount would offer any additional grip for you?

My only grip about the carrier isnt really with the carrier but the 3rd brake light. It would be nice if they made a simple little ABS molded cover for the light to sit it and protect the plug from the elements.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I wonder if Teraflex has provided a torque setting for those pinch bolts. Is it possible to over-tighten them and bend something? Are the slots/rails perfectly straight? Definitely keep an eye on it. Were the pinch bolts loose afterwards? This is the first time I have heard of this. I recently installed mine but have not gone offroading yet.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder if Teraflex has provided a torque setting for those pinch bolts. Is it possible to over-tighten them and bend something? Are the slots/rails perfectly straight? Definitely keep an eye on it. Were the pinch bolts loose afterwards? This is the first time I have heard of this. I recently installed mine but have not gone offroading yet.
I haven't seen any torque specs, but I wish they would provide them. It would make me feel a little bit better knowing that they are torqued correctly. The slots/rails are still perfectly straight, & I haven't had a chance to check the bolts yet. We went down several miles of some pretty bad washboard trails & the Jeep was shaking & rattling so bad it felt like my steering wheel was gonna fall off. Maybe that's what shook it loose?? Even so, it shouldn't come loose like that. I know tons of people run this set up without issues, that's whats so confusing to me. Maybe I should contact Teraflex. Thanks for the reply by the way!

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Yeah, it should not come loose and you should absolutely call Teraflex as soon as possible. I assume you were using the washers. I need to take my tire off to install the TF third brake light extension. I'll inspect it then. I don't recall if they provided lock nuts or lock washers but maybe ask them about using lock washers or nylock nuts. Post back if you get any useful information.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I may have figured out the problem after talking with Northridge4x4. Apparently with the backspacing on the AEV Pintlers, I'm not able to push the tire carrier far enough into the mounting plate and therefore not able to get both pinch bolts inside the slot. Right now I have one bolt through the slot and the other on the backside of the slot, which is only providing additional clamping force and not acting as a stop from keeping the bracket from backing out. So the solution is to add a one inch wheel spacer which will allow me to push the tire carrier further into the sleeve. Gonna give this a try and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Makes sense. Good idea to keep both bolts in there. When I reinstall mine, I'll make sure to add lock washers if the nuts are not nylock ones.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think I may have figured out the problem after talking with Northridge4x4. Apparently with the backspacing on the AEV Pintlers, I'm not able to push the tire carrier far enough into the mounting plate and therefore not able to get both pinch bolts inside the slot. Right now I have one bolt through the slot and the other on the backside of the slot, which is only providing additional clamping force and not acting as a stop from keeping the bracket from backing out. So the solution is to add a one inch wheel spacer which will allow me to push the tire carrier further into the sleeve. Gonna give this a try and see what happens.
have pintlers on mine with no issue. Don't think that's the problem. Have had mine on for over ayear

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
This is a common issue with OEM rims with oversized tires. Only one bolt can be used to pinch and hold the carrier. Being the back spacing on the AEV rims are close to OEM (about 1" less) you need a spacer to set the carrier correctly. TF makes one but you will need to remove the studs from the carrier and replace them with the ones that come with the TF spacer. Or just buy one tire spacer in the 1.25" to 1.5" size. You will need to open the stud holes a little to fit the TF carrier studs in order to make a flush fit.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, that all makes sense, and that's the conclusion I've come to as well. But here's my issue; I've spent over $600 on a carrier that I can't even use, and in order to make it work I have to spend more money. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but this thing is marketed as an adjustable tire carrier which leads me to believe that that's all I'll need to make my spare fit. I mean maybe if it was half the cost or something I could see it, but at that price I shouldn't have to buy anything else or add anything to make it work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, that all makes sense, and that's the conclusion I've come to as well. But here's my issue; I've spent over $600 on a carrier that I can't even use, and in order to make it work I have to spend more money. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but this thing is marketed as an adjustable tire carrier which leads me to believe that that's all I'll need to make my spare fit. I mean maybe if it was half the cost or something I could see it, but at that price I shouldn't have to buy anything else or add anything to make it work.
That's exactly what I was thinking as I read through your thread! I hope you figure it out. I would still contact Terraflex directly. I know Northridge is a well respected vendor but thats a little ridiculous having to spend extra money. They're already proud of that carrier as it is!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I feel your pain I was there too. It does suck but after all is said and done the TF carrier works really well. Still it was a unexpected additional cost. TF customer service reps were helpful and willing to work with me to make everything "good". Give them a call and see what can be worked out.

On a side note. There was and old Jeeper that told me once a long time ago, "For every one thing you change there will be two others things needed to make the first change work correctly". Over the years I have found these words more often true than not.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Curious as to what size tire you have on there? I have Pintlers as well, with 315/70/17 Duratracs and I easily got both bolts in mine. I did remove the factory bumpstop on the left side since it's too long and replaced it with Daystar adjustable stop. If you trim it to the first indent closest to the tailgate, then it s about the same thickness as the hinge, so you can pull the tire tight against it and the hinge for a snug fit and easily get the 2 bolts in. $20 is much cheaper than a spacer too.

·
Registered
404 Posts
We used a spacer and have both bolts in ours, has not moved since I installed it, still tight.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I appreciate all the opinions and feedback guys, but I decided to remove the Teraflex hinge and carrier and go with the AEV carrier instead. Much happier with this set up. If anyone's interested, the hinge and tire carrier are up for sale on eBay.

ForumRunner_20140628_233259.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts