Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use my jeep in town, and a little off road (still trying to master the art of off road) is that a good idea or no?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I use my jeep in town, and a little off road (still trying to master the art of off road) is that a good idea or no?
I think that's what at least 80% of the membership here does. Not everyone has/can afford a dedicated trail rig or tow rig/trailer...

Have at it bro....go get in the dirt....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm glad to know this. I was wondering if thats what most people did considering the wear and tear the city or off road could have on it. Just seems people would burn through jeeps rather quick but that could just be me underestimating the power of the wrangler!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Why do you think people but jeeps man? They look badass on the road and they are the most capable stock off roading vehicles. If you don't off road your jeep every now and then you are depriving yourself of fun and adventure

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2006 TJ with 80k miles, daily driver to work during the week and light offroading on average once or twice a month (dirt trails that are mud, gravel, and grapefruit-sized rocks, but nothing that requires huge articulation), plus driving in upstate NY weather. All I've had break so far was a front sway bar link three years ago, rear sway bar last year, and a dented my oil pan pretty bad on a tree stump because I made a bad last second decision to go the other way around it and had to use a high lift to get my pan off the stump. So from my experience, TJ's hold up to pretty well for this kind of use.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I would say 99% of modern Wrangler owners do this.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just wondering because like climbing and off roading tears up your tires so I didn't know if they used it for city too

·
Registered
19 Posts
It sounds like you feel like a Jeep should just be for show ?
You know, don't get any scratchs on it from driving through brush, no dents from rocks, and keep those tires looking shiny cause you never know who will look at it and make a comment about how it looks when it's parked outside a nice restaurant or bar.
Kinda like owning a BMW or a Harley.
You really don't want to lower the resale value of "your investment"

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No. I think jeeps should be fun? I treat mine more like a toy than a family vehicle. I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong.

·
Registered
19 Posts
No. I think jeeps should be fun? I treat mine more like a toy than a family vehicle. I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong.
That's what's great about owning a Jeep. You can do anything you want with it.
Let your imagination go wild, as long as it's legal.
BTW, All the illegal things should be done off road, maybe in the woods or other places where you need a winch, a shovel, and some good hiking boots.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
Around town and off road? Why I've never heard of such a thing! :)

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
The only problem with a duel purpose jeep is not letting others talk u into doing something stupid that you know is probably beyond your modifications. But it's fun to try and push it a little.

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
You bet man! Mine is my everything driver...trails, date nite with the wife, rock climb, grocery store, hill climbs, Church, river crossing, drive to the office, tailgating...you name it brotha and it's my full time transportation...proud of it!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
With what a Jeep is built for right out of the box, do you think "city driving" really presents much of a challenge? LoL...'bout the only thing city driving has that can hurt a Jeep is salt in winter.....that will *kill* a Jeep! But that's about it, barring any accidents or whatnot....

I'm glad to know this. I was wondering if thats what most people did considering the wear and tear the city or off road could have on it. Just seems people would burn through jeeps rather quick but that could just be me underestimating the power of the wrangler!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts