Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like to hear your stories(ie. where were you?where were you going?who helped you? etc.). my starter took a crap on me a few weeks ago and i didn't know how to do it. i searched youtube and found some helpful videos. i also found a video that wasn't helpful but enjoyable in a weird way

Triple Jeep Push Start - YouTube

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Yes i've bump started mine before...

nobody helped, i was lucky enough to be on a slight incline so i just pushed it to get it goin and rolled down the hill...

bump starting is cake...

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Man that brings back memories of my 68 Beetle... I don't miss popping the clutch to start a vehicle one bit. But I am glad that you have the option with standards if push comes to shove, literally.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Last time in my jeep was after my dentist appointment. Mouth all numb and sore. Very little incline, just put 33' on and had to give it a running push. I only had one real shot..... and pop, vroom,vroom. Sweet.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Hahaha we had to push start my friends jeep in our school parking lot! You should have seen peoples faces as me and my 3 of my friends were sprinting a jeep down the parking lot and over the speedbumps :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
We had to push start an old ford pick-up for at least a month while my father saved up the money for a new battery. Man did that suck. We would leave it running once we were out. Gas was under a dollar and nobody stole anything back then.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Gas under a dollar huh? Man that had to be at least 98-99. I remember cause that's when I was starting to drive And spending 10$ to fill up my beetle was soooo much money to me. Now I'm dropping $60 almost to fill a 19 gallon tank!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Gas under a dollar huh? Man that had to be at least 98-99. I remember cause that's when I was starting to drive And spending 10$ to fill up my beetle was soooo much money to me. Now I'm dropping $60 almost to fill a 19 gallon tank!!
Gas went to a dollar in 80-81. so pushing at 13 was really tough. :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Damn thought it wasn't until later. Gas was .98 / gal when I was 16 in 98. Sure wish it was that way now.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Bump starting for me was daily ritual senior year....had a 62 Willys pickup (dump body on it!..Chick magnet? NOPE!). Oh, wonderful 6v systems.

Oh, this was 1986, and gas was .89 gallon for LEADED :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
I need to meet a girl that will push start my jeep in some stilettos

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
can you do this in reverse? say you are facing up a hill,put the key to start, push in the clutch and roll backwards.will it start?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Once at a after school meeting my starter wouldnt work and it was just me and my buddy in the parking lot and he drove a civic. After a couple of fails trying to pop start my jeep by pushing it, i talked him into hooking a strap to a little tow hook on the back of his civic. It was pretty funny but it worked, we still talk about it today

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've bump started many cars, but never the TJ. I read on here that you couldn't bump TJ's (i was suspect) because the wiring is such a way that the battery needs a charge to complete the circuit (or something like that).

I guess this is not true?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Back in the day when I was a teenager I always drove a stick and had to push start many of them. When the battery died I didn't have the money to buy a new one so I would push start it and hope it would charge enough for the next time I needed to start it.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
I've bump started many cars, but never the TJ. I read on here that you couldn't bump TJ's (i was suspect) because the wiring is such a way that the battery needs a charge to complete the circuit (or something like that).

I guess this is not true?
You can bump start a TJ, but it won't stay running if the battery is totally dead or unhooked due to what you mentioned above...it needs just enough of a charge to have the PCM running or something like that.

I've never bump started my Jeep...but have done it with a few vehicles. First one was to move a buddy's car down the road because his family was throwing a party and the battery was dead. He'd never done it before and was amazed at how it could be done. So the first time we're all pushing his car down the alley and tell him to pop the clutch...so what's he do? He eases the clutch out and we all smash into the back of the car when it goes, "SCREECH" and stops dead in its tracks. :facepalm:

Second attempt went much better and we got the car moved...he even utilized this method to drive to work off and on for a few weeks when he and another buddy were carpooling. Or when he was alone he'd jump it at home and then park on a big hill in front of his work. lol

I've done it at work a few times to fire up dirtbikes and quads when the batteries are dead and I wanna ride em...much easier than jumping em unless they haven't been started in ages.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts