Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am getting small oil leak down the back side of the engine/front of tranny. it collects into a small drip at the bellhousing and the wind blows it on the exhaust and i get a burning oil smell

anyway - need to figure out how to fab up a drip plate to cover the exhaust and curious if anyone has ever had to make one

thanks!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have done the gasket twice. i have the NV3550 trans with novak adapter but i am not skilled enough to pull tranny and try to re-set etc...

i can deal with a little oil, oil is cheap. realistically so should be fabbing up a plate to block the oil.

but it will be trial and error - so seeing if anyone did it before me and had some tricks of the trade

·
Registered
222 Posts
Can't help with the drip plate, but I spent a few dollars on rubber gaskets and a new oil cap for the valve cover and I don't get any leaks there anymore. PO let it go on so long basically the whole engine was covered in oil. Cleaned it all up, replaced those few cheap parts, and now the only oil leaks I have are at the bottom (more time consuming to fix).

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah - already hit the gaskets and it was done by a trust worthy mechanic so i feel good about that but still might be getting some off the end of the block.

its just a DD in city driving so i am not worried about tearing things apart.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
and i have two breather caps on the valve cover that push some oil out too...
putting the correct pcv system on your jeep should help.

·
Registered
514 Posts
If your dead set on a shield just weld some allthread on the exhaust pipe run a nut halfway down then bolt the sheild on.. u want some clearance so it dont get hot also

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Having a hard time with this thread, seems we are now on here to learn how to jury rig our poor yj's. For Christ sakes just get the oil leak fixed before you end up hanging a coffee can from the bottom of your rig.

Sorry for my rant but I just do not agree with putting a bandaid on what is obviously your engine bleeding to death

·
Registered
514 Posts
the coffee can ideal would be great.. i also agree that you should fix your rig before it breaks down then you bash yjs for poor reliabilty

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haha seriously you guys?

the only car i have owned that didn't push oil was an 03 acura. i have seen it on my 99 Chevrolet, 94 ford, 97 MBW, 79 toyota, 92 toyota.

and mijeeper80 i don't understand why you come and bring negativity to my thread - if it bothers you ignore it. if you have helpful insight - i appreciate it.

for me i am never down a large amount of oil when checked or when i change so this is by far the easiest and most cost effective option - not sure how that is "jury riggin'" it

thanks cad - thats a great idea i never thought of. i have a borla exhaust from the PO on there - wonder if that would mess it up. i don't weld but definitely worth looking into

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
and mijeeper80 i don't understand why you come and bring negativity to my thread - if it bothers you ignore it. if you have helpful insight - i appreciate it. for me i am never down a large amount of oil when checked or when i change so this is by far the easiest and most cost effective option - not sure how that is "jury riggin'"
let me see here, this is a public forum and I have all the right in the world NOT to ignore your post when you are on here jury rigging your rig and teaching the younger yj owners that's ok to overlook an obvious issue you are having with your rig. As far as every vehicle you have owned leaking oil I guess now I see why. I own two jeeps both of which do not leak a drop because if they do I fix the problem not throw a catch can under it and ignore it. Maybe I am the only one that feels this way and I am perfectly fine with that. Fix the actual problem and you would hear nothing but praise from me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts