Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a stoplight race with a hyundai genesis sedan, not the racey coupe, and BARELY edged what looked like some angry office lady who proceeded to flip me off and made the two finger small wang sign. (Don't worry, I gave her the two handed big fish sign and high fived my son behind me in the car seat)

I'm aware of the pentastar JK performance numbers and how lumberingly slow it was (that was like racing in slowmo, haha!), but I do have to admit it's got a nice flat torque curve. Anyone ever done any drags either timed or against something of similar speed? I'm thinking it would be hilarious to line up at a local strip against a riced out civic for instance.

Stories? Tales of woe?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I raced my ex's patriot off a light. We hit to about 60, I think I was ahead of her, not really sure, I was more interested in the giant puddle I was about to hit, that really got me excited. I'm putting on my Dynomax Evolution exhaust tomorrow so $hi!$ about to go down...

·
Get your Jeep dirty!!!
762 Posts
Never...for I know im gonna loose specially with the armor and big tires I got on the Jeep. Well maybe a scooter :redface:

·
Registered
529 Posts
I just had a stoplight race with a hyundai genesis sedan, not the racey coupe, and BARELY edged what looked like some angry office lady who proceeded to flip me off and made the two finger small wang sign. (Don't worry, I gave her the two handed big fish sign and high fived my son behind me in the car seat)

I'm aware of the pentastar JK performance numbers and how lumberingly slow it was (that was like racing in slowmo, haha!), but I do have to admit it's got a nice flat torque curve. Anyone ever done any drags either timed or against something of similar speed? I'm thinking it would be hilarious to line up at a local strip against a riced out civic for instance.

Stories? Tales of woe?
I'm not about to lecture anyone but to answer your question, no - especially not with my son or any child in the car. That's not the kind of example I would want to set.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I personally would not be bragging about racing anybody with your son in the Jeep. Personally I question your common sense and ability to make adult decisions. Get your ego in check and understand how precious your son is, racing with a child in any vehicle is very irresponsible and nothing to be proud of.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Pet peeve time: It isn't a race unless the drivers agree to race prior to the start, even if it's through non-verbals (horn honks or other signals).

Having driven sports cars most of my adult life and kept nearly all of my racing on the track, I learned these signals from every want-to-be in a Mustang, modified Civic, 350Z, Camero, and the assorted lot.

The best response is to ignore these challenges on the street or flip them off. After doing that, they will put on a display of their power (normally amounts to pulling a wet string from a cat's ass) called the ricer flyby, then go post on some web forum about beating a dude in whatever you happen to be driving.

Glad you two didn't crash into each other or get ticketed for road rage / aggressive driving. Also note that the generally accepted 0-60 time for her vehicle is about a second faster than a JK.

Edit: for fun, here's a drag race involving a Jeep

http://youtu.be/T7fKbetm89s

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
I only race if I know it's a 2011 or earlier Wrangler.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've seen a race between a 2012 2 door on 37s and 3.21s vs a 2011 2 door on 37s and 5.38s. Both 6 speed.

The 2012 beats it every time.

I have raced mine against other JKs and it's interesting seeing how close we are (2012) but the 2011s are left behind, even if stock.

We dyno'd the 2012 on 37s and stock gears with a Volant intake and it was making 203HP/203TQ to the rear wheels.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I can really see the benefits of the pentastar over the 4.0 in my TJ on 35-55mph mountain roads. In town, the 4.0 felt quicker. Also, i would save the racing for when you are by yourself, street racing with your child in the backseat shows a serious lapse of judgement on your part.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't know why but I love driving my jeep slow. May be because i seat high and just observe haha
I drive really really slow now. I barely hit the speed limit just so the little shit in whatever car can fly around. just how I used to do in my mazda3 with all the "speed mods" thinking I was the fastest car around. now I creep up on them at the next light and just chill

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I out-dragged a chevy silverado with the 5.3 v8...but he was pulling quite a heavy trailer, with another car on it. Lol it may not have been very fair.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha at a lot of these posts. Fair enough about it not being a true 'race'. We didn't line up and rev, honk 3 times, both look and nod, etc... I wanted in front, she got on it and tried to block, it didn't work and I got ahead. Call it ego or reflex, but I wasn't mad and she was.

I also know the difference between a dangerous spot and a safe one. Like one of the posters above I've been in sports cars and bikes most of my adult life. A run up to MAYBE 50 in a 40 in a straight line in slow cars is hardly reckless endangerment. :/

Yep, her car is faster on the internet, we need telemetry to get to the bottom of this!

Back to the point, it might be fun to do some legit drags in the wrangler at a local track. Gonna look into it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I've always loved the hypocrisy of people who slam guys who go zero to 40-50 from a stop light but then themselves drive 75-80 on the highway, talk on the phone and drive, text and drive, eat and drive etc. As if they are so much more responsible and safe. Get real and climb off your high horse.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've always loved the hypocrisy of people who slam guys who go zero to 40-50 from a stop light but then themselves drive 75-80 on the highway, talk on the phone and drive, text and drive, eat and drive etc. As if they are so much more responsible and safe. Get real and climb off your high horse.
Hey, I can do all of those!:angel:

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Thank you. Couldn't have said it better myself!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts