Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for thoughts from people who have done this. I am currently setup on Evo coilovers with Metalcloak short arms. This works awesome on the trail and have zero issues there. My only complaint is just the higher speed bumps when getting there can be a bit harsh. In theory a long arm kit should help, just wanted to hear from anyone who has seat time on both.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
A long-arm system should help a lot. The long-arm guys can fly over rough terrain. Look at EVO's offerings, and maybe talk to them and see what they recommend.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
A long-arm system should help a lot. The long-arm guys can fly over rough terrain. Look at EVO's offerings, and maybe talk to them and see what they recommend.
I concur. Start by talking to Mel at Evo about a long arms. Then talk competitors for comparison. They do make a difference but not as radical as previous generation Jeeps which were smaller.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
finding someone who has run coilovers on shortarms is uncommon, finding that on WF is probably more uncommon.

I seriously doubt you will be disappointed!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, figured as much. Knew I should have done this right from the start.

·
Registered
801 Posts
finding someone who has run coilovers on shortarms is uncommon, finding that on WF is probably more uncommon.

I seriously doubt you will be disappointed!
I know quite a few people that run short arms on CO's...

Myself included, hell I've even seen one guy with stock lower arms!

OP, explain what you mean "harsh "? The way your jeep rides doesn't have a whole lot to do with the arms if everything is adjusted right.

Other things play a part in how your jeep handles on and off road. You still rockin the stock steering? Drag link flipped? Track bar raised? Caster & pinion angles will play a huge part in how it handles at speeds.

I'm running the same setup as you and I have NO problems bombing down whooped out fire roads or desert roads at 50-60+ mph.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just wanted to follow up on this for anyone considering. I changed over from MC short arms to the Teraflex LCG Long arm kit and can not believe the difference. As most other threads discuss, this will make no difference in travel, however the on road and higher speed (15MPH+) off road is much smoother.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
I just wanted to follow up on this for anyone considering. I changed over from MC short arms to the Teraflex LCG Long arm kit and can not believe the difference. As most other threads discuss, this will make no difference in travel, however the on road and higher speed (15MPH+) off road is much smoother.
It will for sure..

The TF is a nice kit :thumb:

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Glad you like your long arms but it sounds like you haven't really pushed them. The coilovers coupled with King stops and short arms and some reasonable driving skills will readily handle 35MPH+ on some pretty rough terrain including long undulating bumpy trails with washboards that raise havoc with standard coils.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The tipping point for me on the long arms was the runout after Pritchett. I was with a group where most had long arm setups (some DTD). It was quickly clear the difference when on this type of terrain. There was no keeping up (at least comfortably). I will say however, my SA setup performed awesome on the actual obstacles.

Was the SA horrible, no. It was fine and as you mention, I could rally it hard across rough dirt roads etc.

Non the less, as someone who had the same evo coilover setup on both MC short arms and now Teraflex long arms, the LA ride quality on/off road is significantly improved at all speeds. I just wanted to point this out for anyone looking for this answer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts