Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have posted before I recently got a 95 YJ for very cheap, one of the problems was it didn't have a top of any kind and was missing a lot of hardware.

I have been able to piece together a somewhat descent top combo for cheap. I was able to get a bikini top, winjammer, and tonneau cover for pretty cheap. The only thing I couldn't find were upper doors with hardware so I have ordered some(should be here tomorrow) so when it all said and done I will have the whole thing pretty much enclosed but there will be gaps around the backs of the doors. I simply don't have the money for hardware and a soft top or hard top right now and may not by the time winter gets here. I have checked local salvage yards and have had no luck either.

My question:
Have/do any of you run your Wrangler's with a less than perfect top in the winter(please only places where it actually gets cold during the winter)
I am in Indiana and our weather is all over the place but I know it can get just plain bitter cold here. I personally don't mind the cold too much but I need to get it warm enough to not be shivering uncontrolably lol. The heat works great so I thought if I enclose most of the jeep I can trap a lot of the heat before it escapes.
Please share your thoughts, experiences, and tips for winter driving with a less than perfect top.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
shoot, when i was younger i lived by this rule: "real men have soft tops, and they don't use them"

i went a couple winters in chicagoland without ever putting the top up. it was my daily driver and i used the safari top, tonnou cover, and doors. i didn't even have the windjammer. you gotta be a little crazy, i did it cuz i wanted to, the top was fine. i just hated having a top on, i also ride a harley in the 30's.

i'm not quite 30 yet but i won't be riding in no topless jeep in the snow anymore.......but i could if i wanted to, don't bet me.:D

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
go to the salvation army and buy a coat......you'll be just fine. go topless!!!!!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
if you go topless all winter you will become a legend

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
I drove my CJ most of the winter last year in Va with a setup like you are talking about. It was real cold in Jan. and Feb. I know its colder up in your area. Hope you have some thick long johns! :eek:

·
Registered
316 Posts
I always put my hardtop on in the winter, the soft top is to drafty for me. I also have the problem of mine leaks, and it loud as hell, so i left my hard top this summer.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Yes i have. In fallon, nevada. I won the bet. See pic for another way to do it.IT'S A 5X AND FOR SALE:punk:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah i used this top from quadratrak all winter it is fully sealed all the way around and with the closed off cab its really and its like 170 bucks

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I went through part of a winter up here with just a bikini top my wife made. If it looked like snow or rain I'd throw a tarp over the Jeep while I was at work. One morning I rolled in to find a nice layer of ice on the tarp, I reached under to push the ice off only to find out there was a nice layer of water under the ice, of coarse the water decided to pour out over my head so I got to drive home soaked to the bone in below freezing temps. That wasn't fun.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I haven`t yet, but since some bozo wanted my rear window worse than me apparently,
I suppose this winter I may be going rear window less. But hey, at least the heater works,,*lol*

·
Registered
669 Posts
Granted in Mississippi it doesn't get extremely cold, but does snow from time to time, I went 2 years with out a rear window and found it wasn't to bad even when it was snowing and raining.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Its going to be in the high 30's here tommarow morning,I am running no doors or top. It was low 40's this morning.And I will be 36 in January.
Winter jacket and hat. Too much salt on the roads here to run Anything you love in the winter.
I used to run my cj-5 in the winters with a soft top, Not all that bad,the heaters in YJ's are alot better than the cj's.

·
Registered
291 Posts
i had the misfortune of taking my hard top off three months to early. it snowed in my jeep a lot. kinda cold. little drafty. you get a lot of funny looks on the high way when its snowing your running with out a top or doors. wearing welding coveralls a big of fir hat and some boarding goggles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You mean like.........less than a full deck?!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts