Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3.5" lift on my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and just bought Fuel Krank 17x9 wheels and was thinking of LT315/70R17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2s. Anyone have a similar combo that has an opinion? Is 17 too small for 35s?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Too small for what? For performance and offroad is perfect. For mall controll service, it may not past the inspection.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright I guess this was a dumb question. Thought it might look dumb, but clearly not. Glad to hear it though cause I already bought the 17s

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just a 1" spacer in the front but also have the Mopar High Clearance flares which allow you to run a 35.

Thx!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I'm running that combo. Like everyone says, it's the most popular combo for JK's.

·
Registered
34,439 Posts
Works great for me!

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
In my opinion, with Wranglers you should ask yourself "are these wheels too big", not are they too small. I like the small wheel/beefy tire look on Jeeps, and the big wheel/small tire look on sportscars.

Here's my 37" on 16" combo:

Vs:

Well, to be honest, I also like the small wheel/medium tire combo on some sportscars:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I think a better question would be, "Does anyone NOT have 17" wheels and 35" tires?" :)

The answer is "me"! ....but not because I don't want them. :)

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Yes I do.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Brakes caliper clearance and tire size/cost drive wheel/rim size

Wheels for the Jeep JK are available in 15", 16", 17", or 18" (inch) diameters. You just need to ensure they have the 5x5 bolt pattern.

The only real constraint on wheel/rim size is the inner diameter and clearance for brake calipers, especially if you're going to outfit the Jeep with a larger aftermarket brake system. Tire width will also drive wheel/rim width. Lift and clearances will drive backspacing needs typically 4.5". The rim diameter/width you choose may either increase or limit your tire choices and cost.

The taller sidewall you get by running a 15" wheel/tire set-up will help off-road especially when aired down and the average driver won't really notice a difference in handling with the 15" set-up when compared to a 16" or 17" combination (when running a tire with the same diameter).

A side note, lower profile tires have stiffer sidewalls and handle/respond better on road but is that really the reason you bought a Jeep? .

1 - 20 of 81 Posts