Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a dynosheet that proves the effectiveness OR ineffectiveness of a CAI on a 3.6 Pentastar engined Jeep ?

It would be great to see real PROOF instead of BS about CAIs. :whistling:

Post it up if you do! :thumb:

·
Registered
873 Posts
PieFace has posted his up. Check his threads. Prepare to spend some time sifting dozens of pages IIRC.

Reality - a few HP, perhaps some small torque gains, P-star is strangled up high by its intake manifold. This is an engine that makes over 300 hp with the stock intake in different vehicles, after all.

A V-6 like the P-Star wants to do its work up high - precisely where no one drives most of the time. Probably why Chrysler figure no one would miss the extra 20 or so ponies between 4500 rpm and 6500 rpm or so versus the Charger/Challenger/Ram.

The P-Star is not a bad engine at all - just not my first choice for a JK. But, that is another topic.

·
Super Moderator
23,484 Posts
PieFace has posted his up. Check his threads. Prepare to spend some time sifting dozens of pages IIRC.

Reality - a few HP, perhaps some small torque gains, P-star is strangled up high by its intake manifold. This is an engine that makes over 300 hp with the stock intake in different vehicles, after all.

A V-6 like the P-Star wants to do its work up high - precisely where no one drives most of the time. Probably why Chrysler figure no one would miss the extra 20 or so ponies between 4500 rpm and 6500 rpm or so versus the Charger/Challenger/Ram.

The P-Star is not a bad engine at all - just not my first choice for a JK. But, that is another topic.
I would bet cam and exhaust also play a roll in the additional 15hp on some applications.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Are you referring to the stock airbox or the actual intake manifold that sits on top of the engine ?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Super Moderator
23,484 Posts
That should help in highway MPGs.

Here's a video with dyno results a CAI giving 6HP and 20lbs TQ.

RIPP 2012 Wrangler JK 3.6L V6 Cold Air Kit 183hp - YouTube
looks like it was about the same power stock or RIPP and being it was a RIPP video seems disappointing at best. Variations were with in acceptable standards of dynos. Dynos are pretty easily manipulated, it would be interesting to have the test done in a blind test and on an independant dyno.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I saw a tv show that was to do with a 3.0l v6 sports car. They went to the trouble of putting the CAI air cleaner outside the engine bay ( the only real way to get cold air ) and it only made a difference of, at the most, 2% gain to the engine power. Makes sense if your in a race car. But in a Jeep. I don't see the point. A lot of money for little gain.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Why is there even an abbreviation for this?

Why would you reduce the offroad abilities of the jeep with such a mod? The stock airbox is a great design for minor water crossings, about as good as it's going to get without a snorkel. And if they put a snorkel on it from the factory, people would still hydrolock the engine anyway..... :)

It cracks me up when people think snorkels improve horsepower (look at all that extra tubing you just added, will clearly reduce performance).

A lot of cold air intakes are badly designed and actually will reduce performance.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Although I did not feel HP gains I did notice an improvement in throttle response especially on the low end

View attachment 276263
I've got that one installed with the Mopar exhaust on my '13 and the difference in power over my (stock) '12 is noticeable....

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Although I did not feel HP gains I did notice an improvement in throttle response especially on the low end

View attachment 276263
how is that a cold air intake? I have a 3.8 liter and the stock intake takes air in exactly that spot. which is right next to the radiator.

it looks cool though.

does it sound better? I put aftermarket air cleaners on my motorcycle and it made the bike about twice as loud. heh.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

You realize those are brake horsepower ratings taken with the whole car on a dyno, right? Wouldn't the JK always get a lower dyno rating than a challenger with exactly the same engine, as its a 4x4, which is going to waste a bit of power?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why is there even an abbreviation for this?
You mean CAI ? Because that is what everyone abbreviates Cold Air Intake to.

Why would you reduce the offroad abilities of the jeep with such a mod?
Not everybody off-roads their brand new Jeeps into cricks, rivers and ponds. I use an old school beat up one for that!

A lot of folks use their Jeeps as daily drivers and have longer commutes (like me). Anything that can be done to increase the highway fuel economy is sought after. Most CAIs actually do help quite a bit in that regard.

Personally, I don't care about the HP/TQ gains over 3000 RPMs. My Jeep won't see that too often. Anything that helps gain TORQUE I can find from 1000 - 3000 RPMs I want!

The stock airbox is a great design for minor water crossings, about as good as it's going to get without a snorkel. And if they put a snorkel on it from the factory, people would still hydrolock the engine anyway..... :)
Agreed! :thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts