Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15,681 Posts
Over priced
Check out dirtworx

If you want to spend that much get one like my wife has the integrated opening with tail door for one hand operation yet bumper suport

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
I am still looking for a rear bumper and tire carrier so I can go to larger tires. I came across the Metalcloak offering and it looks real nice. Has anyone been running one and what do you think about it - still happy with it? Worth the cost?

TJ/LJ Jeep Wrangler Rear Bumper Tire Carrier System
I've looked at so many bumpers, read so many reviews and threads, I finally came down to Dirtworx or the Rock Hard. Went with the latter because I'm going to run an over tire cargo basket.

Good luck.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I guess you could say I'm pretty much a Metacloak fan, since I have their fenders on both my YJ, and my TJ, and a MC front bumper on the YJ..I just haven't been able to get over the price charged for rear tire carrier bumpers, so since I don't want the weight of the spare hanging on my tailgate, I carry the spare strapped down to the floor in the rear.. and no rear bumper yet.

But I've been looking at the dirtworx rear bumper without tire carrier for the TJ as I think it would be a good match for the rockhard front bumper I have installed on it at the moment

·
Registered
788 Posts
Im in the same boat, love MC products, have a ton of them, just couldnt swallow the price tag of the rear bumper
I guess you could say I'm pretty much a Metacloak fan, since I have their fenders on both my YJ, and my TJ, and a MC front bumper on the YJ..I just haven't been able to get over the price charged for rear tire carrier bumpers, so since I don't want the weight of the spare hanging on my tailgate, I carry the spare strapped down to the floor in the rear.. and no rear bumper yet.

But I've been looking at the dirtworx rear bumper without tire carrier for the TJ as I think it would be a good match for the rockhard front bumper I have installed on it at the moment

·
Registered
15,681 Posts
I Agee metal cloak for suspension but if dirtworx ain't costing enough go with this for ease of operation plus the blonde don't look to shabby on this install video (I know it is a JK but have one on the 04 Rubi that has had zero problems or rattles in many years of use)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QzHZqC2Ml3A

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
639 Posts
Dirtworx gets another recommendation. Robert was prompt at responding and built mine to order by my deadline. Solid carrier at 1/3 of the price.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
916 Posts
MetalCloak,,,,
front and rear and completely underneath.
If you can't tell the difference between the way the Metalcloak tire carrier hinge works and the other brands. Go with the others.
When you do you will learn the difference and wish you had saved the money for the Metalcloak bumper/tire carrier.

Attachments

·
Registered
916 Posts
Nice Alleyoop. Are those 35" tires? Is that a 1" body lift?
Thanks!
1 1/4" body lift on 3.5" Metalcloak ARB lift.

33 X 12.50 X 15" Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 tires.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alleyoop - on the driver side, would it be possible to re-use the stock tow hook the mounts under the frame? On the passenger side, is the Metalcloak bumper lower than the stock bumper - I have a Borla cat-back exhaust and the tip comes straight out and is even with the back of the bumper.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Alleyoop - on the driver side, would it be possible to re-use the stock tow hook the mounts under the frame? On the passenger side, is the Metalcloak bumper lower than the stock bumper - I have a Borla cat-back exhaust and the tip comes straight out and is even with the back of the bumper.
PM answered.

·
Registered
853 Posts
[iurl="http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3767313&stc=1&d=1506662955"]
[/iurl]

i know I have a jku but I'm sure the quality is the same,my rear metalcloak bumper is much better than I ever thought! I really just liked the look but I ended up with a much better quality bumper than I could have ever imagined?the quality is soo apparent when you see it in person/install it!there was a lot of work put in to this rear bumper,it is obvious even without seeing how other companies bumpers poor to acceptable finishing.the stoutness is also really apparent!...somewhat of a masculine/indestructible bumper in person while also having a perfectly finished product!

Attachments

·
Registered
916 Posts
=Mrfallon

i know I have a jku but I'm sure the quality is the same,my rear metalcloak bumper is much better than I ever thought! I really just liked the look but I ended up with a much better quality bumper than I could have ever imagined?the quality is soo apparent when you see it in person/install it!there was a lot of work put in to this rear bumper,it is obvious even without seeing how other companies bumpers poor to acceptable finishing.the stoutness is also really apparent!...somewhat of a masculine/indestructible bumper in person while also having a perfectly finished product!
The JK bumper is quite a bit different than the Bumper/tire carrier in design.
But it is pretty heavy duty.

·
Registered
853 Posts
The JK bumper is quite a bit different than the Bumper/tire carrier in design.

But it is pretty heavy duty.

I really liked the look but also liked the way the aluminum teraflex tire carrier worked in one motion(I have a wife/12 week old to get strollers/bags out of the back)so I got the best of both worlds(cool/strong/beefy bumper with an easy to use/one motion tail gate/this is my daily driver).metalcloak= quality in whatever Jeep products they produce! I honestly feel bad for anyone to have the misfortune as to run in to the back of me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
916 Posts
I honestly feel bad for anyone to have the misfortune as to run in to the back of me!
:thumb::thumb:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts