Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serious question here. Is there such a thing as a soft top that does not leak. My expectation is that they should not. But some posters on this forum have indicated it is part of being a Jeep. I am going to have to take mine back in for the 6th time for leaks. Have had the top replaced twice. Both times it was leaking in a seam. The latest top doesn't leak nearly as much as the first two and does not appear to be leaking at a seam. But there is still water getting in somewhere to the rear of the drivers door. Either something is way off here or they all do it. Just seeking information. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
Serious question here. Is there such a thing as a soft top that does not leak. My expectation is that they should not. But some posters on this forum have indicated it is part of being a Jeep. I am going to have to take mine back in for the 6th time for leaks. Have had the top replaced twice. Both times it was leaking in a seam. The latest top doesn't leak nearly as much as the first two and does not appear to be leaking at a seam. But there is still water getting in somewhere to the rear of the drivers door. Either something is way off here or they all do it. Just seeking information. Thanks.
2013 Sahara 4 door with the premium soft top. It does not leak at all even with the wavy rain we have had in Atlanta.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Had my soft top for 3 years and it hasn't leaked yet and it's been through some pretty heavy Florida rainstorms.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have a jk and jku. Only way they leak is when washing arou d rear window when at car wash. Leaking through zipper, but that's obvious.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've got both hard and soft top and neither one leaks. (So far)

·
Registered
131 Posts
First new soft top Jeep in a while, last one I bought new was in 1982 and the soft top would let snow, rain and just about anything else in.

This one (2013 JK with premium top) has been through a few heavy downpours and hasnt leaked a drop which has surprised me. After having it and the door frames off a couple times thereare quite a few places it can leak. I would start making sure the door frames are installed right and none of the seals are pinched. That being said I dont look for leaks, when you open the door in the rain quite a bit drips in so there may be a small leak I havent noticed, no puddles or wet carpet though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I’ve just put soft top on my 2012 Unlimited Altitude for the very first time. It was sitting in the garage for a year. Next day we’ve had one of the largest rainfalls in history (I live in Toronto) and the roof is holding very well. I was really pleasantly surprised because my hard top was serviced for leaking twice and I still can occasionally see some water drops right on top of my radio unit.
W.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have and use both tops. Neither has ever leaked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Martin is it a two door or four and what year? I took my 11Unlimited back four times and it leaked worse every time I got it back! I finally tracked the leak down myself and fixed it. The back leak on mine was at the point where the door surround folded I filled the seam with Vaseline and it cured it.

·
Registered
823 Posts
11 4dr. My soft top has never leaked a drop (knock on wood). Love it! :thumb:

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I have not noticed any leaks in my soft-top. I have a premium top that I traded for.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I feel like there are a lot of people rubbing it in our faces that their Jeeps don't leak.

Mine does. On a good day it doesn't leak, on a bad day it pours like a faucet onto the passenger side door handle.

It's obnoxious, but I guess it boils down to how much money you really want to throw at it. If you've paid a dealership to fix this issue 6 times over and it's still leaking I would be raising some hell with their service department.

Personally I'm not terribly concerned (mostly because I'm never on the passenger side of my Jeep). Some things you just might have to put up with.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I have been in torential down pours with 2013 premium soft top and not a drop leaked thru. I have been traveling at interstate speeds for hours in the rain not a drop, it has sat outside in the pouring rain for a solid 48 hours of rain and not a drop. My hard top has not leaked either.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The soft top on mine doesnt leak, but When I open the door to get in there is a river of water flowing right in my way of getting in. But eh.... whatcha gonna do?

·
Registered
34,446 Posts
I have a 2011 Soft top on my 2007 that dose not leak a drop.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
My header seal leaks a little in supercell storms. Not normally.

Seams should not leak but id try some seam sealer like youd use on a tent on it. Walmart sells it.

Your windows might not be attached right or your doors might need to be adjusted

1 - 20 of 109 Posts