Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steel bumpers bulge hood & rear locker sounds like a good choice I'm looking to buy soon.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Love the bumpers, the rear locker, the 6speed & 3.73 gears

Don't like the tires used, transfer case (would like the Rubicon one)

Thinking I might get one, or stick my original plan and wait until around Jan 2014

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the tires are crap street tires but I could live with the rims but I may go with the Rubicon.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I ordered one a couple weeks back. The tires will be replaced, but i did read reviews on them and they are pretty decent AT tires.
We decided we dont need the lockers and transfercase from the Rubi for the trail rides we do. The Moab priced out the same as the Rubi I spec'd.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ Paul04tj hey thanks for the price info as long as i have 373 gears with LS in the back im good to go

·
Registered
937 Posts
Paul04tj said:
I ordered one a couple weeks back. The tires will be replaced, but i did read reviews on them and they are pretty decent AT tires.
We decided we dont need the lockers and transfercase from the Rubi for the trail rides we do. The Moab priced out the same as the Rubi I spec'd.
I don't disagree with performance of the tires... but performance does nothing for the looks...

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Main issue is why use smaller tires than what comes on a Sport for a special edition? For that matter, why does the Rubicon have the same size tires as the other models?

·
Registered
937 Posts
WXman said:
Main issue is why use smaller tires than what comes on a Sport for a special edition? For that matter, why does the Rubicon have the same size tires as the other models?
I agree...That puzzled me from the beginning... I mean, they're going in the wrong direction! I'm thinking how about a 3" lift with fat KM2's from the factory? Plus, with the size of the Jeep aftermarket, why is Chrysler so willing to just let that go? Boy if it weren't for Jeep, I'd never buy a Chrysler product because the company is managed so poorly.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Well, it is basically a dumbed down rubicon with some cosmetic parts. If you are just staying on road, then it would be a cool choice, because it looks nice and is a little more unique than a stock rubicon. But if you are planning on actually using it, then you are paying money for a bumper you don't want and substituting a non functional hood for other functional items.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I do off road, just sold my TJ last weekend.
I also work for Chrysler and have discussed this package with the Brand Mgr that put it together, The tires were selected to meet the price target. It's figured that most people will swap out the tires anyways. But some won't so they still needed a decent tire. I personally like the bumper. I drive about 20K per year for work, but I'm not a Chrysler 300 or Durango kind of guy. I also cant afford multiple cars so my DD is my toy as well.
I figured I'd take some crap for getting one, but I don't care. I'll be wheeling this winter with heated Leather! :rofl:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But you can order the rear electric locker also but no front so that is unlike anyother package offered interesting

·
Registered
153 Posts
Smaller tires I don't get why no lift is easy to explain, liability, chrysler will never sell a lift from the factory. Dealers may do it but Chrysler will not.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I work at a Jeep dealer and I should have a MOAB sitting in my bay sometime this week. We are not fans of stock so it will likely be getting an AEV 4.5" lift and 35s as for what else they will change I will post info and pics as I get them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
For what Chrysler lists about it I would personally go for a rubicon for about the same price purely do to having both lockers and the dana 44 front and rear. I'm not much for creature comforts I'm more about getting dirty, scatched up, dents if need be, and hopefully not stuck.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It sucks.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Well, it is basically a dumbed down rubicon with some cosmetic parts. If you are just staying on road, then it would be a cool choice, because it looks nice and is a little more unique than a stock rubicon. But if you are planning on actually using it, then you are paying money for a bumper you don't want and substituting a non functional hood for other functional items.
whats wrong with the bumpers?

they are AEV bumpers

·
Registered
848 Posts
If it's the same price as a rubi and not as capable then why would anyone buy this thing? I'm confused.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I had all intentions on getting a Rubi. (The wife liked the wheels) lol
After pricing it out with what we'd want, I started to think back to the Conversation I had with our Brand Mgr. I looked into the Moab and what the package comes with. Specd them both out the same way. The Rubi came in about 3500 more.
I like the AEV equipment on it, love the hood more so than the Vented version. I thought long and hard about it. Yeah 4:1 transfer case and Lockers would be awesome. But being honest, I don't need them. I wheeled my TJ "X" with a BB and 31's, open at both ends for 8 years and never had a need for anything more. Im not a rock crawler or a mudder. We enjoy trail rides, two tracks and hitting an offroad park a couple times a year. I drive over 90% of the time on the highway.
This is going to be my old man car. After 8 years with a bare bones Wrangler, this will be pretty sweet. I can see the argument from the other side. One can look at it as a Sahara based, Non-Rubicon COD. Price between a Sahara and Rubi about 2800. The spread between the COD and Moab is about 4000.

I'm happy with my decision, I know there will be haters. There always have been (YJ Square Head Lights? :eek:, TJ Coil Springs? :doh:) I personally don't care. I think its a sweet package, with stuff I would probably add anyways, tires that would be changed, Creature Comforts I never had before. If the Sport we test drove didnt have the Power Group, the wife probably wouldnt have minded the manual windows and door locks again. I still got a manual trans 2 door which is what a Jeep is all about! :wavey: :hide: :popcorn:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I completely agree. I think it is a good looking vehicle and if it suits the purpose YOU buy it for then more power to you. I could never hate on someone for buying what fits the bill vs what everyone else thinks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts