Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had two factory units with the half-turn keylock, and both worked well initially but eventually became a PITA to open. Either they'd refuse to turn, or they'd release before any significant torque was applied (as if I'd turned it the opposite direction). Either problem makes it a lengthy chore to get it off. I pondered getting a non-locking cap but with gas prices rising,…

Any ideas?

Jon

·
Vendor
5,676 Posts
Yes. They are horrible. I finally had to tear one off with vice grips, and replaced it with a non-locking. It was really bad for us, since it was a shared company Jeep. You'd get phone calls from someone stranded at a gas station.

Siphoning gas is not a huge problem in most neighborhoods. Even places where gas gets stolen they were drilling holes in the tank. Quicker and less conspicuous.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just ditched mine this weekend - it wouldn't unlock.

Here's how you get them off.
1) Take a small drill bit (1/8") and drill a hole about 1/2" in from the outside edge of the cap. You just want to drill through the outer cap, so as soon as the bit goes in - stop.
2) Stick another drill bit or small screwdriver through the hole until it engages the cap and use it to turn the cap loose.
3) Throw locking cap away.

If someone really wants to steal your gas, they can reach up under the fender and pull the filler hose off.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I recently purchased and installed a locking fuel cap, hopefully it won't become a problem. I have sprayed super lube into the key whole initially and will routinely to ensure it continues to function. The locking cap works perfectly for me as a hide a key. When I surf I lock my FOB key in the fuel area and keep my cap key in my wetsuit. Most secure hide a key I have found. Hope i don't have to eat my words when the darn thing won't open. Super Lube does work wonders though

1 - 4 of 4 Posts