Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking around for some Mopar Black Aluminum (Dx8 - SWB) part #82202138 and have found them for $350. I am also looking at the Smittybilt Black side steps for $150 and the Smittybilt SRC Side Armor. Anyone have a grief with the Mopar or Smittybilts?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
I wouldn't touch a Smittybilt product, all their products are made in China now. Old man Smitty would be turning over in his grave if he knew his company name was going to be sold to investors who shut down all US manufacturing and started having everything made in China.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
blah blah smitty talk. china owns us what else is new. I've only got a few smitty things, they're good but you can find some bad stuff from them obviously being they aren't top quality. For side steps I wouldn't worry, probably worth the price.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
What is the purpose? If it is for protection, those steps will easily dent and deform when pressed against a rock. Just for a step, they will work...

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you have the money I would get the Mopar ones, if not get the smittybilt.
Just check them over when you get them. :thumb:
Can I ask why steps? do you want side protection or an actual step?
Because mopar makes some nice side protection they have on the rubicon model! I am trying to get my hands on a set myself =) :whistling:

·
Registered
4 Posts
The rock sliders are generally for protection but they also provide a step to help my wife climb in. These are not thin walled nerf steps; these are very heavy duty thick wall steel tubing. If you damage these then you've like got other more serious problems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
indykipper said:
The rock sliders are generally for protection but they also provide a step to help my wife climb in. These are not thin walled nerf steps; these are very heavy duty thick wall steel tubing. If you damage these then you've like got other more serious problems.
First and foremost the need is for a wife to step into the Jeep since I just installed a 4.25" Zone Offroad lift. I really want the Mopar but $350 is a bit much plus shipping is another $45. Funny you mention the ACE, I looked at them yesterday and wondered about the body mounts not being so solid a spot especially with the body lift I already have on utilizing the same spots.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
First and foremost the need is for a wife to step into the Jeep since I just installed a 4.25" Zone Offroad lift. I really want the Mopar but $350 is a bit much plus shipping is another $45. Funny you mention the ACE, I looked at them yesterday and wondered about the body mounts not being so solid a spot especially with the body lift I already have on utilizing the same spots.
My wife uses my Drop-Kicks to get in and out of the Jeep without issue and I have abused them on rocks, against trees, a hi-lift jack with only results of paint scratches.

·
Registered
4 Posts
rdwiz said:
The Mopar's are definitely a sharp pair of rails. My Ace rails seem plenty solid but I don't have a body lift so I understand you concern on installing those. I strongly considered the Smitty's too. Post some photos after you make your decision and get 'em installed. Order something soon so your wife can climb in that bad boy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts