Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am trying to work with Jeep Cares and my dealership to get my Jeep repaired. It’s 8,000 miles over warranty but as the person at the dealership told me it is possibly a manufacturer defect. This has been frustrating because the dealership quoted me for the repair gasket and head replacement $2300. I said jeep Cares was supposed to help me. Well then they called me and gave me a higher price for the repairs and told me I would have to pay upfront and possibly be reimbursed minus a deductible amount. The dealership called me back with that same price now, but I was like wait a minute I was quoted $1000 less for the same repair on Monday?!? Now I am getting contacted by other friends that had worked with Chrysler warranty at 108,000 miles and they got their repairs done with no problems on their 2016. They did not have to pay anything for the repair.
The only reason why I went to the dealership is because my mechanics I were working with were aware of issues with the head gasket failure. I contacted Jeep Cares and they had me bring it to the dealership..the first calls with them it really sounded like they would help me with this issue. I do not know if they think that I am just a girl and I don’t know anything.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
4,169 Posts
First, don't expect anything from anyone, especially a multi-national corporation. Educate yourself first. There are no "known" head gasket issues. There are other issues that have recalls like:

Don't believe the hype of he said, she said. Dealerships are not your friends. @JeepCares can be of help. They will require a definitive diagnosis by a dealership of whqt the issue is. Once determined, they may, or probably will not be of any help. Oh, and by the way, you get to pay for the inspection by the dealership regardless of whether @JeepCares determines they will intervene.

@JeepCares helped me wit one thing but not another when I was 600 miles out of warranty. My wiper motor took a shit, but hasn't been used from about 52k miles onward due to a huge dry spell here in Texas. Paid the fee to the dealership for the diagnosis and @JeepCares said, sorry. Piss off.

At the same time, my oil cooler housing cracked. I replaced it myself and they agreed to refund the price of the cooler because I bought it from a dealer. But it is a known issue with more than 5,000 of them on national backorder.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I worked for a Chrysler Dealership after I retired for Chevrolet. I did service accounting for that dealership, I can tell you the Service Mgr. has the power to override the warranty time period if he feel that it is for customer satisfaction with both Chrysler (Jeep) and the same was true with Chevrolet. Usually the time period was extended to 48,000 miles and 4 years and all the SM had to do was put his/her signature on the repair order with the authorization code. I will say here that this authorization was usually only given to customers that purchased said vehicle from them and was done to keep them as customers. If you are dealing with a different dealer then where it was purchased, he may not be willing to do this. I will say all manufactures has a different feeling on this, I purchased a Honda Ridgeline and at 6 years 51,000 miles) old the rear main seal started leaking, I called Honda (Customer Service) and explained my problem, I was very nice and guess what, they replaced the rear main seal at no charge to me. I does pay to be nice where talking to CS, as they have the power to OK, or NOT. Getting piss-off usually gets you nothing and if that's what you did then you may have blew it for yourself.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
4,169 Posts
Most Stealerships I have dealt with hire mental midgets as their first line of customer contact, which makes the chance of getting effective help, limited. Here in BFE West Texas, the dealer where I bought mine has a LONG track record of lawsuits and service related issues. The other one in town... is owned by the first one. So for me, its either deal with one of them, drive 45 mins to the next one or DIY.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My case was actually escalated out of Jeep Cares to corporate. I will see what will happen then. The issue that the guy at the dealership and my mechanics stated has to do more with the bolts on the head in particular that ultimately can cause a blown head gasket. The issue with being quoted one price on Monday and another later in the week was frustrating, but it was more than likely an issue of miscommunication at the dealership.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's Crazy is Steven with Stellaris/FCA/Corporate called me 07/22/2021 told me they would talk to the dealership. He called me back 7/29/2021 tot tell me he authorized the the dealership to tear down the engine and diagnosis it. He said I would hear from him Friday the 30 or Monday 08/2/2021 after he hears what the results are of the tear down. I went never heard from him. Contacted a friend at the dealership he stated waiting for Jeep. Called left a message for Steven. He calls me right before an event at the dealership for Jeep fest. He asked me if the dealership contacted me, I stated no. I only heard from the dealership prior to speaking to him on 07/22/2021. He told me the dealership refused to tear down the Jeep because there was mods done to the Jeep (specifically the 5.13 gears and 37's which could have caused the overheating?) and mud under the hood. I asked him about it being a trail rated vehicle & advised him the last time it was offroad was on the offroad course at the dealership. I explained the gears and that it was an ultimate Dana 44, etc. He then again stated he would authorize the Jeep to be tore down & he would contact me Monday with the results, but did tell me if there was mud found in the engine or oil I would be responsible for the charges. I agreed. My Jeep has never been is deep mud or water. I have never even had it up to my doors let alone up to the air intake, so I was good with that. Plus prior to bringing the Jeep to them the oil was just checked for coolant/mud and it was clean. It took me 30 minutes to go up to the dealership, I wanted to talk to the service manager about them not contacting me and about the gearing issue. He told me it really wasn't the gears and tires but the mud under the hood. They were told by the technical advisers not to touch it. He also told me that he was called by the technical advisor right before I got there and was told not to do anything & write it up as out of warranty & they were done. He told me I was probably told they would do the tear down just to get me off the phone. I do not even know who to believe at this point. I was being told one thing by Steven to only be told the opposite by the dealership. I spoke to 2 engineers from the Jeep plant this weekend, both of them told me I should continue to fight it, but I picked up my Jeep by trailer & took it to a trusted shop. Them keeping my Jeep for a month and promising something to only do nothing was disheartening. They told me I could take it to the original dealership I purchased the Jeep from, but I do not see the point if it is Jeep's technical advisors saying not to do anything. Also what did not help is that the service manager kept saying they shouldn't have did my pervious warranty work when it was under warranty, because it was excessive?? Wow, 2 axle seals excessive on a Dana 30 (only other work was within the 36,000, 1 front shock, steering stabilizer, power train oil cooler/oil filter adapter due to another dealership breaking)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i feel i may have voided the warranty, dont tell Stella.... and the new seat covers probably caused the overheating

View attachment 4520096
Funny they probably seen my seat covers too LOL

What is crazy when I was talking to the engineer, he was on Jeep's side at first. Then I mentioned it was a UD44, the booth next to them was Dana at the fest. I also told him everything maintenance wise was documented in the app including all parts installed. I showed him the photos of the engine compartment even. Then he even stated "wait a minute, that's not right" None of that makes any sense, and he states they should have done the tear down. He wanted me to continue to fight it, but I cant go another month without a vehicle.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My JKU started experiencing the common tapping 2-3 months outside of warranty. My local Jeep dealership told me it was out of warranty but did work with me to try to discount the labor a little. I contacted Jeep Cares and they were of no help so I simply expressed my disappointment on social media. Someone reached out to me within hours, confident they could help. I had to retell my story to another agent and a manager and ultimately, they couldn't help and I had to pay out of pocket. Maybe Jeep cares, but they sure didn't help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts