Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put these on my jk in November and the powder coat is peeling pretty bad and they're both like it. Can't see it all in the picture. I hope this isn't common for what these cost? Any one have troubles getting rigid to warranty them?

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most likely is from salt but i expected better from rigid. The eBay light bar on my pickup still looks new and it's been there for three years

·
Registered
482 Posts
That's terrible. Where do you live, Chernobyl? I've run two sets of duallys through 3 Montana winters and they still look new. You're right though, we pay big money for these so I would expect Rigid to get you a new set asap. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Newfoundland born and raised. Rigid emailed me back today and told me there's 2 yr warranty on the powder coat and they wanted some more info from me. So looks good so far but nothing is 100% yet. Both of the lights look like they're 15 years old. Not impressed to be honest, but God dayum they are bright.

·
Registered
243 Posts
im in powdercoating and i have a hard time believing this is the work of salt in just 3 months, especially since it's so high off the road. You could probably completely submerge a newly, powdercoated object in salt water for 3 months and it woudln't look like this. I'm leaning towards maybe an electrical issue or something that set up electrolysis or other catalytic reaction.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Salt corrosion or not I'm pretty disappointed in rigid. I spent the extra coin for the "rigid quality" and three months in they're sent back for warranty because all the powder coat fell off. I hope the replacements work out better because the light output is unreal on these

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi, I have had a set of dually's in a previous GMC Yukon, and same set was on my F150 before that. Years of service and performance form them. Still look almost new. Just mounted them today to my new (used) 2011 Sport.. Yeah, they are the bomb- cost a lot but dependable and flawless...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Little update,
I've had no contact with rigid since I sent in my lights but received some tracking info today on a new set or my repairs set coming back to me. I assume they made it right but I'll post back when they get here

·
Registered
528 Posts
Rigid makes great stuff. My Duallys look like new after a couple years on a couple Jeeps.

What the hell sort of salt do you have in your area?

·
Registered
528 Posts
The liquid salt brine they use is the worst, it seeps into everything :(
That's the stuff of nightmares.

If it tore up Rigids that bad, I'm sure there is a whole massive market for vehicle treatments and cleaning to fight rusted bodies and frames up there.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They don't use any sort of liquid brine, just salt mixed with sand. They lay it on thick though.
Got my lights back today, they put new frames on them. Looks brand new again :D

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Nice to hear they swapped them so fast for you :) Hopefully the new ones stay in better shape with any salt...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have not had any problems with mine. Had them two years now. That does indeed look like salt corrosion. you could probably sand them down a little and Rustoleum bed-line them.

Edit: Oops, didnt see you had them repaired. :)

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
So was this isolated? I'm worried now since I DD my Jeep and Michigan is notorious for over-salting the roads.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts