Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get it, it's a Jeep and I'm not worried about it. Just a question since I layed out 30-something thousand for a new Willys and the passenger door bottom sticks out further than the body when closed. Driver's door is fine.

Again, not a big deal and I'm having fun starting to do some add-ons (door sill protectors, grill mesh, leveling kit ordered, etc.). Just wondering if anyone else has seen this. I didn't find anything in a quick search.

Lovin' the new Jeep!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Welcome to the forum..

I bought my 16 JK new.. No problems at all with the door fit. They sit flush and the gaps are consistent. (Even after being removed and replaced several times).

This is probably something your dealer can sort...

·
Registered
925 Posts
Doors seem to be fine on our new 2017 JK, but the tailgate isn't quite leveled along the hinge side. The tailgate surface sits higher than the rear quarter panel surface. I recognized this after installing the TeraFlex Hinged Carrier. I doubt the Carrier is doing this, I suspect it was like this already with the original hinges too. Also this can't be an install/adjustment error on my part, because there is no height adjustment option.

Like you said, no big deal, but just because you asked.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Mine is off - but in a different way. My driver side passenger door sits flush, but when you open it, it slides/moves down a tiny bit. Same when you close it - you have to slam it shut to get it to shut properly because of this.

Dealer said it was adjusted by them at request of previous owner because of a leak. I can live with it, well, because it doesn't leak.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Before any adjustments are made check the door seal. If the seal is out of the track when the door closes it will look as you described. The seals aren't glued in. On some new JK's the seals will stick and move out of the track. Spray some silicone on a rag and wipe them down to prevent it. If that doesn't take care of it then the dealer can make an adjustment. In most instances the seal causes the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. Had to go in and pick up a receiver hitch that I had thrown into the deal so I had the dealer look at it. Bottom of the door stuck out about 1/2" and the top was all flush. They pulled it in and adjusted the strike plate but that didn't help much. They asked that I have their body shop try to fix it during the first scheduled maintenance.

Again, no biggie and most of my old CJ's would have loved to have ONLY had an issue like this. Just thought I would ask.

So now I wait for my leveling kit to arrive. (Insert Grin Here)

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
1/2" is a lot for the door to be out. I've only seen that when the seal is out of the track on the bottom, but if it's in the proper position the body shop will have to deal with it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I get it, it's a Jeep and I'm not worried about it. Just a question since I layed out 30-something thousand for a new Willys and the passenger door bottom sticks out further than the body when closed. Driver's door is fine.

Again, not a big deal and I'm having fun starting to do some add-ons (door sill protectors, grill mesh, leveling kit ordered, etc.). Just wondering if anyone else has seen this. I didn't find anything in a quick search.

Lovin' the new Jeep!

Even though its a Jeep, I still wouldnt be ok with doors that dont close properly. I understand that they ultimately will get banged up from use more so than your average vehicle but they shouldnt come from the factory like that.

Having a Jeep shouldnt mean you cant have a quality product.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I find that my doors have to be shut much harder with the hard top on compared to when the soft top is on. The cabin seems to be very tight and I lower a window a small gap so slamming real hard isn't required when the hard top is on. My doors all fit correctly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 17 Sahara 1 week off the lot is super finicky with doors needing to be slammed shut and not apparently seating correctly and leaving lights/door lamp on.. going to try and get it adjusted - it shouldn't need slams like you're throwing a dodge ball to shut a brand new jeep door :)
Mine too. Much more airtight than our older jeeps. Opening a window slightly helps, and I'm betting the new rubber seals form a little over time.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts

Lovin' the new Jeep!
I had a different problem where the drivers door had to be slammed fairly hard to not trigger the "DOOR" indicator on the dash. The passenger side closed much easier. I took it back to the dealer to get it adjusted. The gap between the door and the body wasn't perfect all the was around and was off a couple millimeters. The first time they tried to fix it, it did nothing. Once I started asking them if I could take it to another dealer or a body shop they got the message I wasn't going to let it go and adjusted it a little more which helped. Also the seals do soften up after a few months.

Your case seems worse with the edge of the door hanging out in an area. I would definitely take it back to the dealer and have them make it right. Otherwise if you're like me, it would just bug you every time you look at it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think it's crazy we have to deal with problems like this. You would think something like making sure a door shuts properly would not even be an issue in todays world. Saying "what do you expect, it's a Jeep" is complete BS. I hate when I hear dealerships saying this stuff. Sorry I'm crazy and expect my truck to have working, non leaking doors. No other car manufacture could ever get away with anything like that, but Jeep constantly tries to throw stupid lines out there. They're just saying "Hey, you bought a 30-60 thousand dollar POS, what do you expect...stupid" But I always go back and get another Jeep...so I guess they're right:banghead:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts