Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've been reading alot about diesels in wranglers lately and was very impressed with what I saw with the VW 1.9, But in the end the question remains... Is it a worthy swap? I'm bumping up to a 3" lift and 35" tires this winter, but I'm not sure if I will get the power I want from it if I increase the size. I've been reading this site listed below and I understand the need of the kit, but what about everything else? I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this kind of stuff so any information is appreciated, Thanks for reading!

HPA Motorsports Inc. - Jeep TDI Conversion Packages

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
The TDI swap interests me from a weight standpoint. It's a very light engine. Lighter than the stock 4 cylinder engine and has the potential to make a bit more power than the stock 4.0. You'll gain drivability and personally I think the 4.0 with proper gearing is a blast to drive so it can only be better. Plus diesels are just cool and who doesn't like the sound of a turbo?

Oh, and the increase in milage is definitely a nice bonus.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I can only imagine how much HPA's kit would sell for... Probably similar to Bank's sidewinder turbo kit. I think that was like $10k.

The TDI is a great motor, but I'm not sure that it would be my most ideal diesel swap for a TJ.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I can only imagine how much HPA's kit would sell for... Probably similar to Bank's sidewinder turbo kit. I think that was like $10k.

The TDI is a great motor, but I'm not sure that it would be my most ideal diesel swap for a TJ.
The full shebang (new crate engine and swap parts was close to 10k) but now they sell things individually. Engine mounting, transmission adapter, and intercooler are just under $5k (per the website) so that leaves you to find an engine. The 1.9L is pretty abundant, shouldn't be to hard to find one fairly cheap. Definitely doable under $10k.

·
Registered
603 Posts
To get a 4bt with nv4500 and ac from Bruiser conversions swapped into my 06 they quoted me $19,600. so honestly if I can get a crate motor and all necessary parts from HPA for almost half the cost of a cummins swap...it's a simple choice

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! I'm considering it because the mileage looks great and yes of course, because diesel sounds pretty awesome haha I forgot I posted this, Posting tired after work just isn't my thing. Anyway, thanks to all of you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts