Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering skipping 35’s and doing 37’s. Currently on 33’s. I will probably do a complete front axle from ecgs and already running an 8.8 rear. 5sp manual. What’s the desired ratio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,507 Posts
Needs many upgrades first and foremost brakes

Best Ratio not just based on tire diameter also dependent on engine and transmission

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
When you get up to tires that big D44's are not enough. And the tires are getting to the point that they need to be wider to not hit the leaf springs/frame at full lock. Once you go that big your best bet is super duty ford axles because D44/ Ford 8" width and strength ain't going to cut it anymore. And with axles and tires that heavy the 4.0 really ain't going to do it anymore and you need to look into V8 swaps.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, maybe I’ll stick with 35’s. Digger, it’s a 4.0, 5 spd. AX-15.Brakes are stock with a dd booster. Stops great!

·
Registered
17,507 Posts
Ok, maybe I’ll stick with 35’s. Digger, it’s a 4.0, 5 spd. AX-15.Brakes are stock with a dd booster. Stops great!

Brakes will be very marginal on 35s

·
Registered
17,507 Posts
Read this carefully and completely then decide

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m close, need steering upgraded, chromoly shafts possibly brakes. My yj stops very well on 33’s compared to my LJ on 35’s with black magic pads, didn’t do the big brake kit on it(yet) rotors are their centric. I was a little disappointed with that ‘upgrade’ may need to bleed them again. Yj has a ss sye with double cardan already. Flat tube fenders and rear fenders cut already so clearance shouldn’t be an issue, maybe add a 1” BL. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guess I can swap my 35’s from the LJ to see how it stops

·
Los Angeles
1993 Wrangler YJ 4.0
2,448 Posts
I am the the dummy in the crowd.

Up front I have a Dana 30 with 30 spline chromoly shafts, passenger side single axle on 4.88 Elocker with 1 ton steering. Out back I have Revolution Gear 1541h 30 spline axle shafts with 4.88 Revolution Gear Ring, Pinion, and Spider gears and Elocker.
I am 90% figuring to go full Metal Cloak to open it up for 35s. I may buy some worn out ones just to see if thats really what I want.

I don't do the same kind of trails that I think you do so I think I am overkill where you might be pushing your luck with my setup.

37s ok, see ya.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,976 Posts
I’m close, need steering upgraded, chromoly shafts possibly brakes. My yj stops very well on 33’s compared to my LJ on 35’s with black magic pads, didn’t do the big brake kit on it(yet) rotors are their centric. I was a little disappointed with that ‘upgrade’ may need to bleed them again. Yj has a ss sye with double cardan already. Flat tube fenders and rear fenders cut already so clearance shouldn’t be an issue, maybe add a 1” BL. Thanks for the link.

I think @agalloch07 was referring to offset on your wheels for tire width rubbing frame in turn radius in addition to just height. You already have a 4 or 4.5 inch lift right? From experience a 2.5 won't cut it even with a 1" BL.

Reactions: steves92

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,976 Posts
I know ECGS will extend axle wider on the rear, will they do the same for the front?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think @agalloch07 was referring to offset on your wheels for tire width rubbing frame in turn radius in addition to just height. You already have a 4 or 4.5 inch lift right? From experience a 2.5 won't cut it even with a 1" BL.
Yes, I have a 4.5” bds lift. I realize the tires rubbing on the leaf issue. I have to see what my offset is? I can’t remember as I bought them 10 years ago. From everyone’s comments, I think 35’s make more sense. Not interested in investing that much moolah. I’m pretty sure 35’s should fit as is with the rear fenders cut and the flat fenders up front. I’m contemplating a 1” body lift but afraid I may have to cut the shifter opening.

·
Los Angeles
1993 Wrangler YJ 4.0
2,448 Posts
Yes, I have a 4.5” bds lift. I realize the tires rubbing on the leaf issue. I have to see what my offset is? I can’t remember as I bought them 10 years ago. From everyone’s comments, I think 35’s make more sense. Not interested in investing that much moolah. I’m pretty sure 35’s should fit as is with the rear fenders cut and the flat fenders up front. I’m contemplating a 1” body lift but afraid I may have to cut the shifter opening.

You shouldn't have to cut anything.

Unscrew the plate around the shifter, install the bodylift, and resecure the plate a half inch or so(whatever it takes) towards the rear.

You will need to loosen the steering shaft pinch bolt also then retighten.

Loosen the fuel filler hoses and pull them off a bit too, retighten.

any body shielding will rip through when lifting but that is what it is.

I can't think of anything else that I ran into.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts