Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious to know if anyone owns a TJ that came with a factory-installed Dana 44 rear axle and factory-installed anti-lock braking system.

There's discussion on another thread and I wanted to clear it up if possible, thanks.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Actually I don't think it has ABS. I always thought it did, but I looked over my build sheet and I didn't see it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
When I ordered my 04 TJ I got the rear dana 44 with 3.73 and 4 wheel disk brakes. I told the dealer I also wanted ABS but when he tried to order it he said he couldn't with the 4 wheel disk so I gave up the ABS. No great loss. I'd rather have the 4 wheel disk.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SOUTH: your experience jives with what most are saying...which is that Jeep never built a TJ w/ Dana 44 and ABS.....but some folks seem to disagree and I was hoping to clarify the issue, thanks.

JREED: sounds like what most others are saying.

if we could find an actual TJ w/ D44 and ABS from factory that would settle it, so far....nothing.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Ya know I always thought I had ABS. Just assumed. I do have rear Dana 44

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks NEIL....based on that thread, it does seem that they did produce some TJ's with the D44 and ABS....very interesting. i also read on that thread some folks stating as a fact that only the Rubicon could get rear discs and that for sure is not true, the '03-'06 Saharas and Sports could also be ordered with rear discs.

got to be careful about what we read on the internet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know this is an old old thread, I just happen to stumble across it researching on converting my drums to discs. But I do have a factory Dana 44 with ABS and 3.73 on my 06 Sport. When my dad ordered the Jeep he wanted the Dana 44 rear axle, 3.73, ABS, and disc brakes, but you couldn't get ABS and disc brakes, so he went ahead and just got the ABS because the Jeep at the time was for my mom and wasn't going to be off-roaded. A buddy of mine who has an 06 LJ, had disc brakes on his Dana 44 with 3.73, no ABS. And another buddy of mine had a 06 Rubicon, of course disc brakes all around, no ABS. Im pretty sure Rubicons did not come with ABS at all. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yeah I have an 03 rubi and layed on the brakes and felt no abs if that helps and I have discs all the way around

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
Yeah I have an 03 rubi and layed on the brakes and felt no abs if that helps and I have discs all the way around
Feeling for it isn't always the best way to tell. The best way is to look at the tray under the brake booster for the ABS pump.

·
Registered
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, too many mods to list.
1,408 Posts
i am told TJ Rubicons always had D44s, almost always had disc all the way around, and never had ABS. I am also told that TJs with drum brakes rear could have ABS if ordered that way, even if rear is D44. My LJ Rubicon has no ABS. Shelf is empty.

·
Registered
221 Posts
i am told TJ Rubicons always had D44s, almost always had disc all the way around, and never had ABS. I am also told that TJs with drum brakes rear could have ABS if ordered that way, even if rear is D44. My LJ Rubicon has no ABS. Shelf is empty.
I bought a Dana 44 off of another guy with a Rubicon. It doesn't have disc brakes, only drums. I don't believe it has ABS

1 - 16 of 16 Posts