Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With adjustable shocks all the rage- I am wondering if anyone actually frequently adjusts their shocks? Ie: one setting for dirt and one setting for the street? Or are you just adjusting for comfort level at install and leaving it alone after?
Looking at Fox adjustables and wondering if its worth the $$$. I have 2.0 reservoirs now and one is bad so shopping. The ride was fine with 2.0s. However I can see where maybe having a softer setting for the road and one for rock crawling days might be handy. I can also see that little knob being used once and then forgotten.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I played with mine till I got them where I liked them, which is exactly why I bought them.
I never expected to be adjusting all the time.
Went crawling last week and just let them be.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's sort of what I expected really- set them and then forget them. That's a lot of extra money to spend on a knob LOL.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I just bought the Falcon 3.3's for a variety of reasons: the ability to dial in the setting(s) that I want off road instead of relying on what a company thinks is best, and to be able to have a different setting during the week for my daily driving vs the setting(s) I would use off road.

Plus I really hate it when I buy something and regret not paying a little more for what I really wanted. Having adjustability is better than not having adjustability. I'd say it's a bit more than just "a knob."

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The question is, will you actually go around and change the settings on the shocks a year from now, when the newness of them wear off, every time you go on/off road ?

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just bought the Falcon 3.3's for a variety of reasons: the ability to dial in the setting(s) that I want off road instead of relying on what a company thinks is best, and to be able to have a different setting during the week for my daily driving vs the setting(s) I would use off road.

Plus I really hate it when I buy something and regret not paying a little more for what I really wanted. Having adjustability is better than not having adjustability. I'd say it's a bit more than just "a knob."
That was a little sarcasm on my part :D.
I genuinely ask because I am curious if anyone who has experience with them actually uses two (or more) settings. I've read a lot of reviews where people install them and all you hear about is the initial install and adjustment. Ie: "I went from 3 to 6 and 6 was great on the road!" And that's it.
But nothing about long term use and off-road benefits. I know what the 2.0s feel like so I don't care about the DD part. I want to know if anyone has wheeled with them, adjusts them on a regular basis for wheeling and thinks there is a genuine benefit to having different settings for different road types.

·
Premium Member
7,353 Posts
I don't have adjustable shocks but if they ever have them for the 6-pak shocks I'll be first in line. I always ran adjustable coilover shocks in my Corvettes. These shocks had 40 adjustment setting adjusting both rebound and damping. I had settings for the 2 different tracks I would run on track days, a basic setting for autocross that I would adjust of based on the layout of the track, daily driver settings and on the road trip setting. I love the ability to dial in the suspension.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I didnt buy my adjustable shocks to be able to play with them constantly. I bought mine because every jeep weighs a little differently. Iv had stock sport, rubi's, fox, bills, and ranchos. Untill I bought the rancho's I always felt like it was just to stiff for my liking. I bought them so I could dial them to exactly the way I wanted them to feel and to leave them. The only times Iv changed them is when I pull my boat. I stiffen the rear it just makes it drive alot better. In my mind they are not to be played with back and forth all the time. More of just a custom fit for your rig.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Aren't the fox 2.0 shocks rebuildable? why not just rebuild your shocks? I have go with kings because they are rebuildable . i though fox were too if not thats a shame

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
That was a little sarcasm on my part :D.
I genuinely ask because I am curious if anyone who has experience with them actually uses two (or more) settings. I've read a lot of reviews where people install them and all you hear about is the initial install and adjustment. Ie: "I went from 3 to 6 and 6 was great on the road!" And that's it.
But nothing about long term use and off-road benefits. I know what the 2.0s feel like so I don't care about the DD part. I want to know if anyone has wheeled with them, adjusts them on a regular basis for wheeling and thinks there is a genuine benefit to having different settings for different road types.
I think with a multi purpose vehicle such as a jeep or for someone who tracks a car and street drives it also, it's definitely worth it. It's a lot more expensive to add the adjusters later if you decide you need/want it too. Nice to dial it for your personal preference though. Each person has to determine the value.

·
Registered
791 Posts
In short, I will be using the adjuster on mine. Its not just a toy or a "ooooo thats new I want I want" for me. I wanted the adjustability, I didnt realize it would be as noticeable as it is.

With my Falcon 3.3s. Im still dialing them in. I know for a fact, I dont like the "1" setting at ALL, just too "floaty" for me. However, if Im in an area where I need good quick compression, thats what Ill dial. If Im daily driving, Ill probably be in the "2" range going forward, then Ill micro-dial in to my "butt dyno." Now, when I go off road for fire roads, or not so slow off road, Ill kick to "3" so that my tire stays connected to the surface. My install/review thread on these is forthcoming. I want to get an excursion under my belt first.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Living out in the country with dirt road scrubboards, I basically adjust for seasons and oil viscosity. Wintertime RSs are on 3 and summer time they got to 4/5. Then when towing the rears go to 8 and fronts at 7.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I have and had both. My most recent shock purchase was non adjustable. I have close to a 1/2 million miles on adjustable. And the times I went to adjust are just so few, <5, I decided I want a shock that transitions and works good, not necessarily great, all the time. I also live on dirt, not gravel, roads. And drive on roads that range from interstate to rutted a sometime v-bar mud or snow chains required, every day. I found that if the setting was good for the pavement it was not good for the dirt and I would have to watch my driving on dirt or vice versa.

So I guess since I am in a very small percentage of jeep owners, ones that use their jeep off pavement daily :), I am probably different than most.

I see how going off road is a process for some, air down etc. It is just not that way for me. My jeep may need to travel at 65 MPH for 10 minutes to get to a location where I will need 4Lo and lockers for 1 hour and then back onto 65 MPH. I don't want to have to stop and mess with it. I just want to go.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
That's sort of what I expected really- set them and then forget them. That's a lot of extra money to spend on a knob LOL.
I don't see it that way. I think of it more as being able to set the shock the way you want it instead of having to live with however a non adjustable shock is shiped.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yep. I had a street setting, a mountain setting, and an offroad setting. Took all of 30 seconds to change all of them.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aren't the fox 2.0 shocks rebuildable? why not just rebuild your shocks? I have go with kings because they are rebuildable . i though fox were too if not thats a shame
They are rebuildable. The cost is roughly $80-100. Right now Northridge is running a special on new 2.0s for $200. :eek: :thumb:The good and the bad is Fox's service center is an 1 1/2 hours from me (not far in California drive time)- the bad is they' don't exactly rebuild them quickly. It's Big Bear season and I need my Jeep. I've gotten 5 years out of them I am considering new- more expensive obviously but very little down time and less hassle. If I am going to spend the money on new...then what about newer and better?...
This is how my brain works.
I have and had both. My most recent shock purchase was non adjustable. I have close to a 1/2 million miles on adjustable. And the times I went to adjust are just so few, <5, I decided I want a shock that transitions and works good, not necessarily great, all the time. I also live on dirt, not gravel, roads. And drive on roads that range from interstate to rutted a sometime v-bar mud or snow chains required, every day. I found that if the setting was good for the pavement it was not good for the dirt and I would have to watch my driving on dirt or vice versa.

So I guess since I am in a very small percentage of jeep owners, ones that use their jeep off pavement daily :), I am probably different than most.

I see how going off road is a process for some, air down etc. It is just not that way for me. My jeep may need to travel at 65 MPH for 10 minutes to get to a location where I will need 4Lo and lockers for 1 hour and then back onto 65 MPH. I don't want to have to stop and mess with it. I just want to go.
That is my thought process- I am airing down and disconnecting when I wheel. Doesn't seem like a big deal to turn a couple of knobs- but there has to be a discernible difference in ride to make the $$$ worth it. It sounds like there is- some people just use them to get the ride they want. And some actually have purpose-driven settings.
I did just realize however that I'd have to change the install on my shocks because of my fender liners. Or cut my newly installed had-to-be cut fender liners so I an reach the knob. :banghead:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts