Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that rear wiper and that GIANT box for the motor is really ugly and annoying. I think it interferes with my view out of the back. I don't use the rear wiper anyway. I would love to get rid of it. Has anyone done this? Any pictures or suggestions? I know I would need to plug the holes in the glass.

Thanks.

·
Registered
607 Posts
i did this on my 06 mini. was one of the best mods ive ever done. I plugged the hole with a plastic 1" hole plug from lowes and some RTV sealant.

Im with you, hate the stupid wipers. Would do it on my 2011 clubman but the idiots put the wipers within the door instead of the glass so i cant do it.

One of the first mods ill do when i get my HT jeep ;)

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I was going to until I looked at it again. The glass is blacked out behind it anyhow, there's no gain in vision if it's removed = no point in removing it for me.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It seems that a good glass shop could make or order a piece of glass with no wiper provision.

This would also be great for those who have a soft top, but later add a hardtop.

·
Registered
339 Posts

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I use my wipers but it would be nice if the motor was smaller. That thing could almost run the Wrangler.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I don't know why people are so obsessed with their field of vision in the rear view mirror. Despite headrests and spare wheel and third brake light and wiper, there's still significantly more rear visibility in my Jeep than the vast majority of sports cars that I have owned.

·
Super Moderator
21,977 Posts
I removed my wiper yesterday it is great................I installed a soft top.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know why people are so obsessed with their field of vision in the rear view mirror. Despite headrests and spare wheel and third brake light and wiper, there's still significantly more rear visibility in my Jeep than the vast majority of sports cars that I have owned.
Good point. But, I'm not obsessed with the vision issue. I don't like it because its bulky, ugly, and adds some weight.

We took the rear wiper assembly off of our 350Z. It's a much cleaner look.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I did remove it yesterday... interesting that on the way down state, I noticed that there is a better view top center of the back window without the arm/blade... oh and the back end of the Jeep looks less cluttered too...

·
Registered
535 Posts
I removed mine a couple of years ago because it was a nuisance to try and clean around!
I was constantly snagging my hand every time I tried to wipe under the wiper blade.
Never used it, don't miss it. No real gain in rear view since there is a tire sitting there, but the AEV carrier does move it off to the side a bit. But then the fuel caddy pretty much negates that.
I still prefer the look with the wiper gone though. makes it look less like an SUV rear window!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I removed mine a couple of years ago because it was a nuisance to try and clean around!
I was constantly snagging my hand every time I tried to wipe under the wiper blade.
Never used it, don't miss it. No real gain in rear view since there is a tire sitting there, but the AEV carrier does move it off to the side a bit. But then the fuel caddy pretty much negates that.
I still prefer the look with the wiper gone though. makes it look less like an SUV rear window!

Did anyone try scraping off/removing the black on the glass under the motor without breaking the defroster wires?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm sure there's a reason Jeep installed a rear view mirror in the center of the windshield, but after looking through it and only seeing about 10% of the road behind me, I can't figure out why...

Honestly, I don't use my center mirror and haven't for the last 5 vehicles I've owned.

I wish Jeep would get with the times and install side mirrors with convex mirrors built in to the bottom of them like every other 4wd vehicle they make, but that's easily remedied with a couple stick-ons.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts