Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is sad but after owning my 2014 2dr wrangler for about a year I literally just realized I have map lights lol. On the front of the Jeep there's two small buttons in the very back that can be depressed on either side. I just recently decided to replace my dome light with leds. I have decided on the leds im gonna go with but If anyone has a good suggestion please do chime in.

Anyway, back to the map lights. I see the map lights have a squared shape like slit I'm thinking I could gently pry off. Has anyone replaced their halogen map lights with leds? If so are they soldered or plug in? . I know the dome are plug in and very easy to change. I'm thinking the maps are probably soldered?

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Yes, the map lights are soldered and I've heard people say it is too much of a :censored: to work with.

An alternative, if you've switched to colored interior lights is to buy some camera flash gels and cut to fit and stick over the OEM lenses.

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
They're plenty bright for what they should be used for. I wouldn't change them.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx for the replies. If it's a big issue ill avoid. Any recommendations on leds for the dome bulbs?

·
Nature Photog and Jeeper
2,981 Posts
I don't notice them because the first mod I did was flip the rearview mirror upside down for greater visibility - so the map lights became useless.

but they already are LED's, that as StarBrite pointed out - are soldered to the boards so there is no easy way to replace them.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Thx for the replies. If it's a big issue ill avoid. Any recommendations on leds for the dome bulbs?
If you look in my build thread around May 9-20, I posted the bulbs I used when I swapped out, along with a link to the ebay listing, I think. I used blue LEDs, but you should be able to use the specs for those lights and then pick your color.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you look in my build thread around May 9-20, I posted the bulbs I used when I swapped out, along with a link to the ebay listing, I think. I used blue LEDs, but you should be able to use the specs for those lights and then pick your color.
Cool. Thanks I'll check them out.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
I can't find -- could you be more specific? The interior is woefully lighted IMO
On the underside of the rear view mirror, towards the back, there are two small lights and switches to turn them on/off. If you still can't find them, try using the camera on your cell phone and take a picture UP from underneath. Then you'd have a better idea of where to reach. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
On the underside of the rear view mirror, towards the back, there are two small lights and switches to turn them on/off. If you still can't find them, try using the camera on your cell phone and take a picture UP from underneath. Then you'd have a better idea of where to reach. :)
Thanks. Not on mine. Must be part of Power Package or something. I have a very basic Sport.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts