Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm suffering from the dreaded "no heat on the driver's side" with 2 inches of peanut butter-like sludge in the overflow tank.
:awesome:
After hours and hours of searching and reading I have decided to tackle the project of replacing my heater core myself. I'm out of warranty, and with all the add-on electronics, etc, going on through-out my instrument panel, I think it will just be easier if I do it myself. I'm a former automotive tech, so doing the work doesn't bother me at all. I have or have access to all the necessary equipment to reclaim, evacuate and recharge the AC system.

Basically, I am just wondering, is there anyone else out there as crazy as me who has tackled this at home?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
A lot of labor involved, pretty much remove the whole interior from what I understand. With no warranty it would be expensive to have done. How far out of warranty are you?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
First of all, that sucks.
Been down this road with the dealership and it's a serious PIA to get them to do it.
They simply don't want to because of the labor involved. They would rather sell you a new rig for 5K off than do a Pentastar heater core..

if you really have to do this on your own it might be a lot easier to fab up some sort of garden hose attachments on the inlet and out for some hardcore flushing and back flushing. At least before ripping your entire dash out.

Both heater core lines are visible when you pull the glove box out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well no real insight on replacing it on a JK but I've replaced one on just about every Ford model from 1980-2000. I was a Ford tech for 15 years. Other than having to twist up like a pretzel, I like doing them, made good money. Just remember when they say "Remove the Dash Panel", most of the time you can just remove the bolts and disconnect enough to rotate the dash up just enough to unbolt the HVAC box and rotate it out.

If mine was out of warranty, I do it. No way I'd pay what the dealership wants for that. Never seeing one, I'd guess no more than 8 hours to have one done.

Hell if you wait until Jan-Feb I'll help if you got a heated shop. I'm out at L&D 14 shooting (photographing) eagles most weekends. :)

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
60K and had it for 4.5 years. So well out of warranty.

The amount of labor is not enough to scare me. I have done plenty of other vehicles. Well none of them are exactly fun, doesn't bother me.

AmIGone - I wish, no heated shop for me, gotta get it done before winter. Book says 7.8 hours, so you are right on track there. Planned on having the whole weekend set aside, and have a backup vehicle in case.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
All that is for heater core replacement?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I did one on a Mustang I had when I was younger and more flexable. The only thing I can tell you is take the time and remove the front seats first. Spread out a thick blanket on the floor. Now you can sit or lay in reasonable confort, as the task requires, without being a contorsionist. It is so much easier with a little room to work. Now anytime I have to fiddle around under the dash the front seat gets removed.

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
It is one major design screw up! I have no clue what they were thinking making it such a PITA to access.

I'd flush, reverse flush, and repeat the process a few times. Maybe with a little luck you'll get it to work. Have you considered a citrus acid flush? Combine that with forward and reverse flushing a few times and it might do the trick! It might be worth looking into before you start ripping it apart.

Good luck, keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is one major design screw up! I have no clue what they were thinking making it such a PITA to access.

I'd flush, reverse flush, and repeat the process a few times. Maybe with a little luck you'll get it to work. Have you considered a citrus acid flush? Combine that with forward and reverse flushing a few times and it might do the trick! It might be worth looking into before you start ripping it apart.

Good luck, keep us updated.
Tried every sort of flush possible, nothing has helped. That stuff is as thick as peanut butter. One would think that if it can get in there you could flush it out.

I'm surprised nobody has threatened class action against Chrysler. I think they should at least cover the repairs out of warranty since it's a screw up on their part.

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
Tried every sort of flush possible, nothing has helped. That stuff is as thick as peanut butter. One would think that if it can get in there you could flush it out.

I'm surprised nobody has threatened class action against Chrysler. I think they should at least cover the repairs out of warranty since it's a screw up on their part.
I hear ya, that sucks! Maybe you can contact Chrysler corporate and state your case, have you tried that?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts