Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to get new wheels and tires soon.

Issue is I pull a trailer 5 days a week and clearance with the spare is a little bit of a problem with the stock spare. I am afraid a wider wheel and tire is going to be a bigger issue.

So thought about buying a smaller wheel and tire for the spare. Just kind of afraid how it would look. Also thought about just ditching the spare and adding the ACE Gatekeeper.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I added a 33X12.50-15 to the back of mine and a new drop hitch about 2'' lower than previous. This still did not work the first time i tried to hook up to may boat with it I was crap out of luck. I have to figure something out with out a drop hitch that drags the road. I thought about getting a smaller tire but i really like the 5 tire rotations. I just want to let you know that a wider tire does affect tailor clearance a lot. Maybe someone has solved this with a specific drop hitch and will chime in.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My issue isn't with the hitch I think I would still have clearance there.

I have limited access to the back of the jeep which would be almost none with a wider tire. Also my jack handle barely clears the spare now and don't think it would with a wider tire. If I turn to sharp or jack knife the trailer the jack handle will hit the tire. Been real lucky so far that it's never punctured the tire. Been a few times it was in the sidewall pretty deep.

Pic of mine now. May help your clearance issue.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I raised my carrier 2" and centered it to clear 33"s and keep the hitch height correct. A piece of 3/16 plate welded on the bottom and a longer piece bolted to the factory mounts. And some ABS pipe to extend the snubbers.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I decided to ditch the spare and see how I like that.

Ordered the ACE Gatekeeper and 2 black rotopax. Going to mount this and see how I like it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'd strongly suggest keeping a spare and one the same size as the 4 primary tires. I've had to use mine too often over the years to go without one and running a different size tire can cause serious handling issues.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I do a fair amount of interstate driving and see a lot of people with trailers and tire problems. I believe most are due to under-inflated blowouts that first start with a thread lost as the tire breaks down.

Yes, I am guilty too. Got in a rush and didn't check the air psi in a leaking tire before getting up the road. However, I did have a full sized spare to get me where I was going. Called ahead and had a new tire waiting for me at the end of my trip.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have had two flats in 26 years of driving so I am not to concerned with not having a spare.

To clarify the 2 flats that's a instance I actually had to use a spare. I have had several slow leaking tires I had to have fixed but didn't have to mount the spare.

This is my DD and I drive quite a bit of miles (25k in the last 15 months) but for the most part I stay local and never very far from help.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Put the spare in your trailer..if there is room.

You never know when you'll need it. I needed mine a few months ago..ran over a piece of metal 5" long in the road and gashed the tire. I wouldn't go without a spare. I'd rather change the tire (easy on a Jeep) than wait forever for roadside assistance to show up. No spare= large tow bill or a hassle of tracking down a suitable spare that will work.

·
Modern Day Warrior
1,053 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
The extenders to reduce your towing capacity and tongue weight, but will still work with anything you'll pull with a Wrangler. Even without a spare back there having a bit more room helps make backing easier.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Something I just learned about JKs. You must run 4 tires the same size. A tread depth difference over 3/32s" can wreck the limited slip. Thats progress.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
That's nothing new....same is true for any vehicle with a limited slip. If your vehicle comes with a donut spare the manual will tell you which tires you can use it on.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts