Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to do an upgrade om My RE 4.5 short arm.

Looking at RE. as well as Rustys. I just haven found much info on it from actual owners.

My rig is used in back country search & Rescue. No Rock Crawling. so mostly on road and forest service roads.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
57 Posts
I really like my RE 2.5" Long arm extreme duty. Not sure if they still make it or not, don't see it advertised much. 33" fit well and you can got to 35" with some BL.. Didn't have to lower the TC with it, used 3" lift bilstein 5100's and the ride is much smoother than stock. It does some squeaking though!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's probably time to replace them, any suggestions on replacements?
Not sure about the kit you listed as I havent seen that one. But RE sells the UHMW-PE race rebuild kits,as well as the Cross linked Polyurethane PTMEG bushings. contact them of your local retailer.

I rebuilt mine after about 60,000 miles. fairly simple to do. took about two hours in the driveway.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So out of all the fine folks out there.. Only IMPED has first hand knowledge of Rustys off road long arm upgrade?

I looked at there website and couldnt find what joints they are using.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I have experience with Rustys joints, not their "long arm kit". I can tell you from experience that the joints are junk, the bushings aren't much better, and just by looking at the pictures I wouldn't go near it--zero vertical separation at the rear frame end of the upper and lower control arms + front radius arms. No thank you.

For $1350, you could make a pretty good dent in a much better-performing custom suspension with good joints all around.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have experience with Rustys joints, not their "long arm kit". I can tell you from experience that the joints are junk, the bushings aren't much better, and just by looking at the pictures I wouldn't go near it--zero vertical separation at the rear frame end of the upper and lower control arms + front radius arms. No thank you.

For $1350, you could make a pretty good dent in a much better-performing custom suspension with good joints all around.

Yea, I'm leaning to the RE one. Ive never had any issues with my RE Short arm other than the joint replacement. and even that was just because my local 4x4 shop had a complete set that someone ordered and never showed to pick it up and Steve was tired of looking at it after three months and gave me a good buy. not that it needed it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Honestly, I wouldn't waste time on either one.

OK, While I appreciate your opinion. but it dosent answer my underlying question.

I'm looking for a LA upgrade for my RE 4.5 RE SA that is currently on it. I do absolutley ZERO Rock Crawling... Its one of our SAR Rigs and sees the pavement 80% and forest service roads 15% And maybe 5% on difficult terrain. So I dont require some crazy configuration that flexes to hell and back..

If you know of something, Let me know.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I'm making my recommendation based on durability first and foremost since you probably don't want to worry about downtime. Poor quality bushings + joints = downtime.

Why do you feel like you need long arms? And don't say ride quality--all else remaining equal, replacing mid-shelf short arms with mid-shelf long arms won't do much for you in that department.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Explaining or Debating why we want one is a moot point. as we all have a difference of opinion and that's not what I'm looking to do here.

You say " I'm making my recommendation based on durability first and foremost "

But I dont see any recommendation. If you have first hand knowledge of one let me know and why...

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
That's because there isn't a bolt-on long arm kit that I'd recommend. My recommendations would be to replace the RE arms with Currie, Savvy or Rokmen arms. If you're stuck on long arms for no justifiable reason, check out Clayton. He uses Currie JJ's as well, which are the most durable end out there.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have a few guys in my club that run the rustys long arms and have had good luck with them. No issues at all and some have had them for several years now.

If you want to avoid rustys there is always the UCF package that uses Rough Country arms but with Currie Johnny Joints and geometry corrected brackets. It's a pretty nice package and a great price.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's because there isn't a bolt-on long arm kit that I'd recommend.
Oh, OK... So why are you posting to this thread? As stated in the last post I'm not looking for someones opinion on SA vs LA. There are plenty of treads where this subject has already been debated to death.

I'm asking for recommendations and "Owner first hand knowledge" on a long arm upgrade as that is what we will be doing...

JWM1986, Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not sure about the kit you listed as I havent seen that one. But RE sells the UHMW-PE race rebuild kits,as well as the Cross linked Polyurethane PTMEG bushings. contact them of your local retailer.

I rebuilt mine after about 60,000 miles. fairly simple to do. took about two hours in the driveway.

Thanks for the info, its the same as there other Long arm kits, just with shorter springs.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
That's because there isn't a bolt-on long arm kit that I'd recommend. My recommendations would be to replace the RE arms with Currie, Savvy or Rokmen arms. If you're stuck on long arms for no justifiable reason, check out Clayton. He uses Currie JJ's as well, which are the most durable end out there.
x2; you'd be hard pressed to find something more durable/reliable than the JJ. If it's truly being used for S&R I would think that would be a priority.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts