Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have volunteered to drive to the top of Pikes Peak "14000 elevation" at midnight on New year's to bring home hiker's from the Adaman club that hike up the mountain and set off fireworks. One of the requirements is to run a double treatment fuel line antifreeze, wondering if anyone thinks it's a good or bad idea? Temperature is expected to be -30 plus and extremely high wind chill and it is also required for the jeep to be left running. Any ideas thanks....

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
425 Posts
I do not see any trouble with that.

But I would prefer a hard top for sure. One thing that could help with temperature is to cover front of the rad with a sheet of card board to cut cold air. But I would say carry a piece in case and use it if needed. And do not lock your doors while you are up there. Would be a pain to unlock of undo a soft top in -30 temp.

Have a nice ride!

·
Registered
461 Posts
PS these are my tire chains I am also have to have...

Looks awesome!

I second a hard top just in case the soft top windows ice over.

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
I'd love to do that! With a hard top though. :) I'd add Waterzorb with a bottle of dry gas. Water Zorb

Then block a portion of the radiator, don't lock the doors, and not shut if off as others mentioned. I think you'll be fine.

·
Super Moderator
22,029 Posts
I have often had mine at minus 20F with no problem. fill up your tank at the start and add a bottle of heat. Your windshield fluid reservoir should be filled with extreme cold fluid and make sure you squirt it thru the lines so they don't freeze up on you. nice thing about real cold weather your windshield usually stays clean. Don't park your vehicle facing directly into the wind as wind chill just cools things down faster it wont actually make them colder. remember things have a habit of breaking when it gets really cold so be gentle on your rig and don't have a "hold my beer and watch this moment"

·
Registered
335 Posts
Wouldn't do anything other than making sure you have supplies to survive a cold night (food, water, blanket, flashlight (lighting etc) and source of heat).

As stated, have a full tank of fuel. Unlikely to need a ton of washer fluid, but make sure it is rated for the temps.

FWIW I had my Jeep parked for a 2 week stretch of temps below -4F (dropping down to -25F) and did nothing other than start it when I got back to the Jeep. Cold temps are hard on vehicles, but with a good battery I wouldn't worry about having it not start.

We routinely drive through the mountains with temps as cold as -30F and do nothing special other than having supplies to survive a night in the ditch.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys as far as the soft top goes if I still had a hard top I probably would put it on for this trip but I sold it off a while ago. Thanks for reminding me about washer fluid I will get that swapped out before I go just in case. I will be in a group of 10 off-road vehicles + 10 experience hikers so I don't think there will be any survival situations but I will have all my recovery gear plus 4 tire chains. Again thank you for all the recommendations definitely a little nervous about the soft top and the extreme high winds.

·
Registered
562 Posts
As a permanent soft top driver, I would like to hear how the soft top does if you don't replace it.
As a soon to be permanent soft top driver I second this!!!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As a soon to be permanent soft top driver I second this!!!
Living in Colorado it's not been an issue and I've been and some pretty good winter conditions. Obviously when it's really cold I don't mess with the windows but this will be I'm much more extreme cold wind chill possibly minus 50 - 70

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
We don't have a hard top, Trektop NX year round, and spend the winter in the Adirondacks up by the Canadian border in NY.
We encounter temps as low as 40 below at night. (sometimes during the day too)never had a problem. The Jeeps awesome heater keeps the cab nice and warm!
You will be fine.
Although we do always carry extreme cold clothing and supply's with us, just in case there is ever a break down.

It really does look bad ass with those chains :)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Someone recommended cardboard over the radiator. I have run my jk in -20F without any radiator cover and it will still get quite warm. So my suggestion is that to have something to cover it if needed, but I think you already have enough radiator cover with lights. etc. And if you use something remember that when you are stopped and idling remove it or you will overheat.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts