Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a 2013 JK Unlimited. I was wondering if anyone is running an Old Man Emu suspension on their JK Unlimited? If so, what size tires are you running and what are your thoughts about it. I have some past experience with OME lifts; I had an OME suspension on an '89 YJ and on an '04 Rubicon and liked the quality, ride and performance on the trail. I am also considering the 2.5 inch Rock Krawler Stock Mod, the 2.5" Tera Flex, and the 2.5" Rubicon Express lift. One thing that is important to me is good street manners and a lift that will level my JKU without spacers. The JKU is going to serve as my daily driver and camping rig and may do some light trails, but in the future it will be used for serious wheeling. My serious wheeling is with my TJ (see profile) for now. I still haven't made a decision on tire size yet, but I feel I have some flexibility with a 2.5" lift. I just completed adding a front and rear bumper, rocker protection, and winch to start. Here are a few pics:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I don't personally run any of those lifts that you mentioned, but i will say this. RK, OME, and Teraflex (in that order) are pretty much the best lift companies you can go with. Their coils will not sag compared to other lifts made by budget companies and have great on road manners. I plan on running the RK stock mod 2.5" lift eventually, but I'm currently riding on OME front coils (leveled out my jeep from my 200lb bumper/winch) and I have to say they feel great on road. They flex great, and handle bumps and dives amazingly. For me, OME and RK. But again, Teraflex is great too, I just like the stiffness of the OME and the progressive rate coils with the RK system. But all of them will perform great on road (coupled with good shocks) and excel off road.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Ome makes good shocks and springs, unless they have changed the 2.5 lift then you will get some wagging due to the fact that they do not provide extended end links with their kits. You may want to look into adding these for better handling.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like you have metalcloak fenders on the tj. Why not consider MC 2.5" lift for the jk?
Yeah, those are Metal Cloaks. Quality is second to none, but I really need only a small lift and plan to use the stock control arms for a while. I may just level the Jeep and do Metal Cloak fenders with 35's though. I still can't decide if I want 35's or 33's. Same rules apply to JK's that apply to TJ's; to properly run 35's you have to consider brakes, steering, and stress to axle components. JK axles are already notoriously weak. EIther way I go I have to regear.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't personally run any of those lifts that you mentioned, but i will say this. RK, OME, and Teraflex (in that order) are pretty much the best lift companies you can go with. Their coils will not sag compared to other lifts made by budget companies and have great on road manners. I plan on running the RK stock mod 2.5" lift eventually, but I'm currently riding on OME front coils (leveled out my jeep from my 200lb bumper/winch) and I have to say they feel great on road. They flex great, and handle bumps and dives amazingly. For me, OME and RK. But again, Teraflex is great too, I just like the stiffness of the OME and the progressive rate coils with the RK system. But all of them will perform great on road (coupled with good shocks) and excel off road.

What size tires are running with the front OME coils?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a pretty light Jeep. I'm running their 2616/2617 springs (LT-Stock)in combination with the Nitrocharger shocks N196/N198. I could of stopped there but added rear OEM sway links up front, a Teraflex rear trackbar bracket and the AEV front control arm brackets. I also put on a set of OME FK40 bumpstops. On the road, it rides great. Smooth. Comfortable. Non jarring. I've run 33's and 35's with this setup. The 35's would still rub during full off-camber stuffing. But that is not too often and not too bad. A little more bumpstop would of taken care of it. If you want more lift or run a heavier Jeep, go with the 2619/2618 springs and longer shocks. Just be prepared for adding other components to compliment the higher lift. I never had a problem off-road with it. Does not flex like my buddies Rock Krawler 2.5 max with Bilsteins but his does not ride as comfortably as mine. It's a little of a trade off. All that was on my 2012. My 2014 should be here next week and this time around I am going with Metalcloak. One of their ARB edition so I still get the OME shocks. I'm expecting a comfortable ride and super flex this time around.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I am running the OME springs and Nitrocharger Sport shocks. The ride is firmer than stock...at least what I can remember of the stock ride.

I drive an JK Unlimited Rubicon - it had a tendency to roll and wallow a bit on its stock running gear. I drove a buddies JK Rubicon and noticed that his 2-dr was a LOT tighter in general the way it handled.

My observation - my OME springs and shocks make my JK Unlimited handle like my buddies JK. It has a nice sporty feel to it - stays level through corners, doesn't roll and wallow on turns/acceleration.

I am using the 2619 coils in the front and 2618 coils in the rear. Basically, the longest coils possible. My Jeep is not super heavy - relatively light weight steel bumpers and my recovery gear in the back on a daily basis. The springs themselves were about 2.5 inches longer than my stock springs and they are stiffer. All in all, I ended up right about 3.0 inches of lift. That was a conscious decision though, not a surprise.

That said, in retrospect I wish I had gone with the 60066L and 60067L Nitrocharger Sport shocks. These are the same you will find with the Metal Cloak ARB kits - and I will own a set sooner or later. I am rebuilding in pieces. I am also running JKS adjustable track bars front and rear, and adjustable links in the back with the rears up front.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some good comments here; I really appreciate the input. I like the idea of going with the HD up front and maybe the medium duty in the rear. I have even considered ponying up the cash and getting the Metal Cloak setup. I still can't decide on 33's or 35's. Putting 35" MT/R's on the TJ caused a whole new dimension of mods such as Vanco Big brakes, currie steering, etc. Not sure I want to go that far with my daily driver JKU. RK is another one that I really have my eye on as well.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Some good comments here; I really appreciate the input. I like the idea of going with the HD up front and maybe the medium duty in the rear. I have even considered ponying up the cash and getting the Metal Cloak setup. I still can't decide on 33's or 35's. Putting 35" MT/R's on the TJ caused a whole new dimension of mods such as Vanco Big brakes, currie steering, etc. Not sure I want to go that far with my daily driver JKU. RK is another one that I really have my eye on as well.
Ahh yes. We've all had the 33" vs 35" debate in our minds. The financially smart side of us tells us 33"s, but the "you only live once, go big or go home!" Tells us 35"s. Although no two minds think the same, my reason and many other people's reason for going to 35"s is because I know that once I drop the $1500+ on 33"s, I will automatically regret knowing that I could of gotten 35" for 100$ more. Now of coarse there's the hidden fees of 35"s that you keep telling yourself "I don't have to worry about that yet" like beefing the axles and regearing, but in reality it's just more mods that will make your jeep even greater. Plus, not as much work is involved in a jk to handle 35"s than a tj. 35"s aren't THAT big, and really make a jk look full and give it serous clearance. And as for DD with 35"s, not really much of a hassle. 33"s are only an 1" taller than the stock tires and will only give you .5" axle yclearance compared to stock. That's not worth 1,200$+.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The dual rate and arb edition lift kits from MC are good options. I heard nothing but good things about MC which made me just recently drop $4k on it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
OME lift and shocks. 35" tires. 3 inches of lift even with heavy bumpers, winch, and full size spare tire. Firm ride with no wallowing. It is a good setup and gets the job done. While I don't do any big rock crawling, I do get it on the trails in the mountains. Gets the job done extremely well. Also is my daily driver and took it on a long road trip of 1800 miles on the highway. Not my first choice for a road trip but it worked.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dual rate and arb edition lift kits from MC are good options. I heard nothing but good things about MC which made me just recently drop $4k on it.

I have been eyeing that Metal Cloak ARB edition lift myself. Tempting, and I really like the MC fenders and bumper on my TJ...

OME lift and shocks. 35" tires. 3 inches of lift even with heavy bumpers, winch, and full size spare tire. Firm ride with no wallowing. It is a good setup and gets the job done. While I don't do any big rock crawling, I do get it on the trails in the mountains. Gets the job done extremely well. Also is my daily driver and took it on a long road trip of 1800 miles on the highway. Not my first choice for a road trip but it worked.
Same set up as mine with the heavy bumpers, etc. Questions: Did you put the OME HD springs on both front and rear? Did the lift get rid of the JK "rake"? I had the OME HD setup on my old 04 Rubicon (sold long ago) and experienced the same feel, firm and no wallowing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OME Front Spring Specs

I have a 2015 Rubicon JKU with SRC Gen2 bumper, and winch with steel wire rope. I want to level the vehicle, not lift it. It has about 2" of front sag. I contacted ARB in Australia. Here was their response.

"The 2628 is one option though I may try the 2616 and see where you are at. Then add trim packers if needed. The 2628 might be too much lift to begin with and to lower it would require replacing the coils.
I have included the specs for the three front coils we offer.
2616 light load to 100lbs is 490mm free height and 135lb/in spring rate.
2619 heavy load 100-200lbs is 515mm free height and 135lb/in spring rate
2628 med load 80-150lbs is 505mm free height and 135lb/in spring rate."

Chris

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ended up going with the Rock Krawler Stock Mod, 35's, Bilsteins, and Rancho Drop Brackets. I also went with Dynatrac Pro Rock 44's with 4:88 gears and Eaton E-Lockers. It has a stock like ride and handles great. It still hasn't been off-roaded. My TJ has been upgraded to 37's and a rear stretch, so that is still my "wheeler" for now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts