Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

All I did was shut my door, mirror broke off passenger side.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I never seen that happen, but when I removed my OEM mirrors to do the water drain hole mod since I was constantly getting white streaks down the sides of the door, the inside of the mirror whichs mounts inside the door had a lot of a white limey corrosion on the back side. It looked very similar to what you have shown there. I would guess yours corroded from the inside out, similar to what mine seemed to have been doing.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
It'd happened to someone, somewhere, on some forum but I'll be damned if I can remember who or where - but this is not the first time I've seen that. As @rednroll mentioned, water collects in there and corrodes the hell out of the mount.

·
Registered
986 Posts
UM,.....

What year/model did the factory mirrors come with silver arms?
I've only seen black from the factory.

Reactions: strmanglr

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UM,.....

What year/model did the factory mirrors come with silver arms?
I've only seen black from the factory.
That's the inside of the black arm.

All that 'silver' is corrosion.

Anyone get the quadratec mirrors and have their old stock ones?

Reactions: WaltA

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
That's the inside of the black arm.

All that 'silver' is corrosion.

Anyone get the quadratec mirrors and have their old stock ones?
I haven't replaced my OEMs. I seem to have caught the problem before it got too carried away like yours. I did get a set of OEM knock-offs from eBay for a really good price but I only use those when riding doorless, in combining them with the Dietech door hinge relocation brackets. They seem just as good as the OEM mirrors at a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Galvanic corrosion? What's the mount made of and how was it insulated?
Add water and the less noble metal will corrode.

I remember that I did an experiment 8 or 9 years ago when somebody was concerned about galvanic corrosion fusing their metallic valve stem caps to their tire valves. I hooked an oscilloscope up to my valves, screwed on some aluminum caps, wet them down a little, and got a good little bit of juice flowing.
Stick with plastic....

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
They're the OEM mirrors, nothing special going on here in regards to what they're made of and mounted.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I remember that I did an experiment 8 or 9 years ago when somebody was concerned about galvanic corrosion fusing their metallic valve stem caps to their tire valves. I hooked an oscilloscope up to my valves, screwed on some aluminum caps, wet them down a little, and got a good little bit of juice flowing.
Stick with plastic....
True, stick w plastic. Had an 8 ball cap for the spare cause somehow I lost one. It corroded on.

I haven't started searching for how to replace that, anyone done it already.

I haven't taken a real good look at it yet but I'm not sure that arm is metal.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, corrosion fo sure.

If you have those streaks on your paint running down from the bottom of your mirror...ta da!

There is your culprit.

I got new mirrors w shipping for both sides for $36 each. Now I can get mirror brackets for my old mirrors and have mirrors for being doorless.

They are a breeze to replace. Thinking about pulling them and adding a bead of silicon on the edge for better seal. If I had a newer JK I would be thinking harder on that to prevent the dreaded streaks from ever occuring.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Yes, corrosion fo sure.

If you have those streaks on your paint running down from the bottom of your mirror...ta da!

There is your culprit.

I got new mirrors w shipping for both sides for $36 each. Now I can get mirror brackets for my old mirrors and have mirrors for being doorless.

They are a breeze to replace. Thinking about pulling them and adding a bead of silicon on the edge for better seal. If I had a newer JK I would be thinking harder on that to prevent the dreaded streaks from ever occuring.
Yep, that's exactly what mine looked like when I took them off.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I never seen that happen, but when I removed my OEM mirrors to do the water drain hole mod since I was constantly getting white streaks down the sides of the door, the inside of the mirror whichs mounts inside the door had a lot of a white limey corrosion on the back side. It looked very similar to what you have shown there. I would guess yours corroded from the inside out, similar to what mine seemed to have been doing.
Hey guess what happened today? I went through an auto car wash, came out on the other end and now my passenger mirror is falling apart also.

The corrosion combined with the pressure the brushes from the car wash was enough to cause it to fall apart. Time to go shopping for some replacement OEM style mirrors. I'm going to drill and paint the inside of the replacements before I put them on.

Ordered my replacement set. $52 for both sides.

I'm going to see what I can do to repair the OEMs. I'm currently investing in some Aries tube doors that I may want to try and use them on. Bubble gum, duct tape, and gorilla glue is not out of the realm of fix possibilities for that use. I'll now have 3 sets of OEM style mirrors. Regular doors, doorless, and tube door sets.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts