Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see people mention they switch from geo brackets to adj or fixed control arms to gain ground clearance.

I’m curious if anyone has switched from adj or fixed control arms to geo brackets for a better ride on road? Is there really that much of a difference?

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
When I first setup my JK, I used control arms, then did my sons JKUWW with brackets.
His Jeep handled and drove so much better than mine, I switched mine to brackets as well.
We do mostly overland off roading, but when we do come across a rocky trail, you just try to be more careful picking your line.

Reactions: ExPatWillys

·
Administrator
16,974 Posts
We've had both and the brackets do ride better. When my friends shop did his lift they used arms and brackets. I'm thinking about trying that as well.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
When I first setup my JK, I used control arms, then did my sons JKUWW with brackets.
His Jeep handled and drove so much better than mine, I switched mine to brackets as well.
We do mostly overland off roading, but when we do come across a rocky trail, you just try to be more careful picking your line.
We've had both and the brackets do ride better. When my friends shop did his lift they used arms and brackets. I'm thinking about trying that as well.
I couldn't disagree with this more strongly. It's all about proper setup. Not long ago I went from brackets to Core 4x4 arms. On the test drive I couldn't believe the difference. In the process I moved the rear diff back to allow for better centering of the wheels in the tubs which was the only real difference in setup. The following day the wife and I hopped in and within about 3 miles she looked over and said "I don't know what you did to this thing but it rides 100% better." If you're running adjustable arms and getting a poor ride you need to spend some time going over your suspension geometry and making the right adjustments while looking for worn parts but don't trade off arms for brackets. Some of the adjustable arms use inferior ends and light weight materials. Core 4x4 is not one of those.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I couldn't disagree with this more strongly. It's all about proper setup. Not long ago I went from brackets to Core 4x4 arms. On the test drive I couldn't believe the difference. In the process I moved the rear diff back to allow for better centering of the wheels in the tubs which was the only real difference in setup. The following day the wife and I hopped in and within about 3 miles she looked over and said "I don't know what you did to this thing but it rides 100% better." If you're running adjustable arms and getting a poor ride you need to spend some time going over your suspension geometry and making the right adjustments while looking for worn parts but don't trade off arms for brackets. Some of the adjustable arms use inferior ends and light weight materials. Core 4x4 is not one of those.
I added a little more caster to my moderate lift with adjustable synergy lower front arms and it made a nice overall feel to the steering. Brackets would have been too much in my case. Lot's of $hit merchants out there for sure. They have some excellent marketing departments and techniques to move their junk. Then some invest their money and try to justify their decisions by swearing the products are excellent quality. Really need to do your due diligence. I don't have the time for inferior quality products and I really dislike wasting money.

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
I switched from longer fixed Front LCAs (synergy) back to stock LCAs with geo brackets, but only because I went from 2.5 to 3.5 of lift (netted close to 4 when the springs were new) and I have a 2 door with driveline angles that are steep to begin with.

I’ve thought about putting an adjustable synergy LCA (shortened to stock length) on with the brackets because I liked the compliance of the ride so much with the dual durometer bushings, but I can’t justify the expense for minimal gains, and I’m not going to try upgrading the bushing in the stock arm, that’s just throwing away money. Jeep rides damn good as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,298 Posts
I have an AEV 3.5 lift with geo brackets. Netted 4.5 inches of lift on a light JK. Rides better than stock on the pavement and great on the trail. I have never hit a geo bracket on the trail or met anyone with them who has.

Reactions: jdinny

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Geo brackets and adjustable control arms do different jobs except for caster/pinion angle which they both address.
Other then that they are different.

Adjustable control arms center the wheel in the wheel well or they can shift the whole diff forward/barckward.

Geometry Brackets address the front end geometry by returning the front control arms of a lifted vehicle back to or closer to stock angles hence reducing noise dive when braking and reducing the harshness of impacts from expansion joints and pot holes/bumps on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
^^^^ It will definitely be a mistake.
One thing is for sure, if you do, don't drive one with brackets.
You'll be taking 'em off and buying brackets.
Happy New Year

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Im still thinking adjustable arms over brackets.
Happy New Year
Don't believe it! With a good set of arms you get rid of those crappy rubber bushings that are in a constant bind due to normal movement of the arms as you drive. A good set of arms will be much more rigid than the stamped steel OEM.

Trying to use both brackets and fully adjustable arms defeats the purpose of both since there is no way to achieve correct geometry this way.

I will always maintain, anyone who is getting better service with brackets than a full set of quality adjustable arms is doing so because either the arms they chose are of low quality or they were never set up correctly.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Happy New Year
I priced a mopar lift kit, it comes with longer lower arms to correct caster, if geo brackets were that good, they would ship them with the kit.

The only purpose of the brackets would be to keep kit costs down.

Quality Adjustable arms for me.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
I priced a mopar lift kit, it comes with longer lower arms to correct caster, if geo brackets were that good, they would ship them with the kit.
The only purpose of the brackets would be to keep kit costs down.
Quality Adjustable arms for me.
You are too funny. Whatever floats your boat ;)

If you make major life decisions like that, based off the opinions of people you have never met or will never
speak with, then you live a shallow, self-conscious life sir.

Let us know how you make out

Happy New Year

·
Registered
726 Posts
You are too funny. Whatever floats your boat ;)

If you make major life decisions like that, based off the opinions of people you have never met or will never
speak with, then you live a shallow, self-conscious life sir.

Let us know how you make out

Happy New Year
Actually, I have made contact with a jeep group up here - not one uses geo brackets, all use lower arms.

Do whatever you want to your jeep, I will lift mine how I choose.

Sorry if my comments melt your snowflake. :bop:

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Ok sonny boy, I'm proud of you.
Actually, I think your comments are funny.
Don't really care what you do, just trying to get you the best setup.
Sorry your skin is so thin.

Happy New Year

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
I went from TF arms to Synergy arms to Rancho Geo brackets to Core 4x4 arms.

The Synergy arms were better than the TF... The Rancho brackets were better than both. The Core 4x4 are as good as the brackets, but now I have more clearance.

Every Jeep is a little different. The Synergy arms are now on my daughter's JK and it's fantastic.

Geo brackets are great for mild Jeeps, but I don't like them at 2.5 and below, they over correct.

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Geo brackets are great for mild Jeeps, but I don't like them at 2.5 and below, they over correct.
So are you saying fixed synergy arms would be a better option for the 2” Mopar than geo brackets without giving up too much in ride quality?

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
So are you saying fixed synergy arms would be a better option for the 2” Mopar than geo brackets without giving up too much in ride quality?
Well the Mopar 2" is at least a 2.5 and if you don't have steel bumpers and armor, it's more like a 3". You could do either very successfully.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts