Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want something like Bestop's soft doors, but a grand is out of the budget. I was wondering if anyone has tried building something like them, and if they have any tips or recommendations?

Doesn't have to be soft doors specifically. I just need them to hold up at reasonable speeds, keep the interior from getting drenched, be fairly light, and be able to fit in the trunk.

Not looking for a quiet ride or complete water seal by any means. Just want to be able to go away for a weekend doorless, and have something with me to put on in case of rain.

Open to product recommendations, or tips from people who have made something like this themselves.. (preferably the latter, because it sounds like a fun project)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking marine plywood here, with treated 2x4's for bracing.

trainman
Marine plywood is a great idea. I'd ruled out wood without even thinking of that. Would be easy to rig up a latch and some hinge pins too if I used wood

·
Registered
578 Posts
Marine plywood is a great idea. I'd ruled out wood without even thinking of that. Would be easy to rig up a latch and some hinge pins too if I used wood
There is also a plywood for signs, it is treated for outside use and has a coding of what I would call paper, but its something else, ie., can be painted and finishes to a smooth surface. Sign companies use this product and it weathers well. I've seen is sold at specialty wood suppliers, not at HD or Lowe's.

trainman

1 - 4 of 4 Posts